The View from Here: June 2010 Archives
Thursday June 17, 2010
Freelance journalist Hanna Ingber Win's photos, from the tea gardens of Assam, India. Assam has India's highest maternal mortality rate. Hanna went there to interview families who'd lost their mothers, and health care workers who try to help pregnant mothers get the medical help they need.
Categories: Correspondents' Dispatches, The View from Here
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Mon., 28 – Mexico: fear of narco-censorship here
- Tue., 22 – Noda, Japan...pictures, pieces of lives
- Tue., 22 – The screwy Saudi security syndrome
- Thu., 17 – Beijing...ice swimming and loving it
- Tue., 15 – Mendoza, Argentina...a witness to brutality
- Mon., 14 – Addis Ababa...renting the news of revolution
- Fri., 11 – Margaret Evans' Mideast overview
- Thu., 10 – China rolls back reforms
- Wed., 2 – Tunisians demand democracy now!
- February 2011
- January 2011
- Thu., 27 – Ladino: The Jewish music of Spain sung here
- Wed., 26 – Yak manure: from poo to petrol
- Wed., 26 – South Sudan...a new national anthem here
- Fri., 21 – Our man from China assesses India
- Thu., 20 – Haiti...just another death by cholera
- Wed., 19 – Goma, Congo...Clever Boys here
- Tue., 11 – Spain - no more matadors on TV here
- Thu., 6 – Juba...boatloads of celebration here
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Wed., 24 – Afghanistan...Embedded with the Taliban here
- Tue., 23 – Kampala..The Secret Reach Of "The Family"
- Sat., 20 – Thanks for finding your way to a new feature
- Wed., 17 – Shatila refugee camp...guns are common here
- Tue., 16 – Kampala...battling homosexuality here
- Mon., 15 – Zimbabwe...Waiting For The Rain here
- Mon., 1 – China in Africa...no Chinatowns here
- Mon., 1 – Nicaragua...the remains of a DC-3 here
- October 2010
- Fri., 29 – Washington...Franzen, Freedom and Obama here
- Thu., 28 – London...the tale of MI-5 from here
- Mon., 25 – NYC 9/11...What's Going On here?
- Fri., 22 – Manila..."offending religious feelings" here
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Wed., 20 – Who do you pay to be in the news here?
- Tue., 19 – New York City...living in tunnels here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – Lusaka, SA...Tracy Chapman echoes here
- Tue., 12 – Khao Lak, Thailand...song from the Tsunami
- June 2010
- Thu., 17 – Assam, India...childbirth can be deadly here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Hungarian voters appear set to deliver a blow to EU migrant quotas
- Hungary's anti-immigrant government appears set to win a referendum on whether the country should accept European Union refugee resettlement quotas. A victory could send shock waves through the already battered bloc.
- Jamaica, Cuba and Haiti await powerful Hurricane Matthew
- Hurricane Matthew is expected to reach the eastern part of Jamaica late Sunday or early Monday, but the first effects could be felt today. It became a Category 5 storm overnight, before weakening to a Category 4.
- Video Trump's 'idiosyncrasies not abnormal,' says Republican stalwart Newt Gingrich video
- Republican Newt Gingrich tells CBC's Peter Mansbridge why he believes Donald Trump is the better candidate in the race for the White House.
- Legal marijuana brings tax revenue for Denver, but also new expenses audio
- Take note, Toronto: Denver, Colorado is using tax revenue from legal marijuana sales for social good, but regulating sales is a costly new responsibility for the municipal government.
- CBC in Paris Paris mayor's attempt to curb traffic along Seine leaves some commuters fuming
- The Paris mayor's decision to close the right bank of the Seine river to cars as a means of reducing air pollution has left many in the city hyperventilating.