The View from Here: June 2010 Archives
Thursday June 17, 2010
Freelance journalist Hanna Ingber Win's photos, from the tea gardens of Assam, India. Assam has India's highest maternal mortality rate. Hanna went there to interview families who'd lost their mothers, and health care workers who try to help pregnant mothers get the medical help they need.
Categories: Correspondents' Dispatches, The View from Here
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Mon., 28 – Mexico: fear of narco-censorship here
- Tue., 22 – Noda, Japan...pictures, pieces of lives
- Tue., 22 – The screwy Saudi security syndrome
- Thu., 17 – Beijing...ice swimming and loving it
- Tue., 15 – Mendoza, Argentina...a witness to brutality
- Mon., 14 – Addis Ababa...renting the news of revolution
- Fri., 11 – Margaret Evans' Mideast overview
- Thu., 10 – China rolls back reforms
- Wed., 2 – Tunisians demand democracy now!
- February 2011
- January 2011
- Thu., 27 – Ladino: The Jewish music of Spain sung here
- Wed., 26 – Yak manure: from poo to petrol
- Wed., 26 – South Sudan...a new national anthem here
- Fri., 21 – Our man from China assesses India
- Thu., 20 – Haiti...just another death by cholera
- Wed., 19 – Goma, Congo...Clever Boys here
- Tue., 11 – Spain - no more matadors on TV here
- Thu., 6 – Juba...boatloads of celebration here
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Wed., 24 – Afghanistan...Embedded with the Taliban here
- Tue., 23 – Kampala..The Secret Reach Of "The Family"
- Sat., 20 – Thanks for finding your way to a new feature
- Wed., 17 – Shatila refugee camp...guns are common here
- Tue., 16 – Kampala...battling homosexuality here
- Mon., 15 – Zimbabwe...Waiting For The Rain here
- Mon., 1 – China in Africa...no Chinatowns here
- Mon., 1 – Nicaragua...the remains of a DC-3 here
- October 2010
- Fri., 29 – Washington...Franzen, Freedom and Obama here
- Thu., 28 – London...the tale of MI-5 from here
- Mon., 25 – NYC 9/11...What's Going On here?
- Fri., 22 – Manila..."offending religious feelings" here
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Wed., 20 – Who do you pay to be in the news here?
- Tue., 19 – New York City...living in tunnels here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – Lusaka, SA...Tracy Chapman echoes here
- Tue., 12 – Khao Lak, Thailand...song from the Tsunami
- June 2010
- Thu., 17 – Assam, India...childbirth can be deadly here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Manager deflects blame after fire turns Oakland artists' colony into 'mass grave'
- The founder of an Oakland artists' colony where dozens of people burned to death says he is sorry, but deflected blame for the blaze that gutted the warehouse that he now describes as a "mass grave."
- New Merkel calls for veil ban, looks to quell migrant concerns
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel advocates banning the full-face veils used by some Muslim women in a speech to her party's congress, stressing her determination to prevent a repeat of last year's huge migrant influx.
- Analysis Trump's Taiwan call could disrupt 'very calibrated dance' between U.S., China
- U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's official call with the leader of Taiwan breaks diplomatic protocol, a move that could lead to an economic and military standoff, Asia analysts warn.
- CBC IN STANDING ROCK N.D. Indigenous leader willing to support future pipeline fights
- Standing Rock Sioux Tribe chairman Dave Archambault, who has been at the centre of a contentious pipeline debate in North Dakota, says he's willing to support future pipeline fights — including those in Canada.
- Iran president not interested in Trump's views on nuclear deal
- Iran's president said on Tuesday that his country will not allow incoming U.S. President Donald Trump to "tear up" Iran's landmark nuclear deal with world powers and also warned Tehran will react to any extension of American sanctions.