The View from Here: June 2010 Archives
Thursday June 17, 2010
Freelance journalist Hanna Ingber Win's photos, from the tea gardens of Assam, India. Assam has India's highest maternal mortality rate. Hanna went there to interview families who'd lost their mothers, and health care workers who try to help pregnant mothers get the medical help they need.
Categories: Correspondents' Dispatches, The View from Here
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Mon., 28 – Mexico: fear of narco-censorship here
- Tue., 22 – Noda, Japan...pictures, pieces of lives
- Tue., 22 – The screwy Saudi security syndrome
- Thu., 17 – Beijing...ice swimming and loving it
- Tue., 15 – Mendoza, Argentina...a witness to brutality
- Mon., 14 – Addis Ababa...renting the news of revolution
- Fri., 11 – Margaret Evans' Mideast overview
- Thu., 10 – China rolls back reforms
- Wed., 2 – Tunisians demand democracy now!
- February 2011
- January 2011
- Thu., 27 – Ladino: The Jewish music of Spain sung here
- Wed., 26 – Yak manure: from poo to petrol
- Wed., 26 – South Sudan...a new national anthem here
- Fri., 21 – Our man from China assesses India
- Thu., 20 – Haiti...just another death by cholera
- Wed., 19 – Goma, Congo...Clever Boys here
- Tue., 11 – Spain - no more matadors on TV here
- Thu., 6 – Juba...boatloads of celebration here
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Wed., 24 – Afghanistan...Embedded with the Taliban here
- Tue., 23 – Kampala..The Secret Reach Of "The Family"
- Sat., 20 – Thanks for finding your way to a new feature
- Wed., 17 – Shatila refugee camp...guns are common here
- Tue., 16 – Kampala...battling homosexuality here
- Mon., 15 – Zimbabwe...Waiting For The Rain here
- Mon., 1 – China in Africa...no Chinatowns here
- Mon., 1 – Nicaragua...the remains of a DC-3 here
- October 2010
- Fri., 29 – Washington...Franzen, Freedom and Obama here
- Thu., 28 – London...the tale of MI-5 from here
- Mon., 25 – NYC 9/11...What's Going On here?
- Fri., 22 – Manila..."offending religious feelings" here
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Wed., 20 – Who do you pay to be in the news here?
- Tue., 19 – New York City...living in tunnels here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – Lusaka, SA...Tracy Chapman echoes here
- Tue., 12 – Khao Lak, Thailand...song from the Tsunami
- June 2010
- Thu., 17 – Assam, India...childbirth can be deadly here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New Syria conflict: U.K. police urge Muslim women to stop would-be extremists video
- British counterterrorism police have launched an unprecedented appeal to Muslim women, urging them to dissuade relatives from travelling to Syria to fight with extremist Islamist groups and to report any concerns about their family members’ intentions.
- Analysis In Ukraine crisis, the family feud that is divided Donetsk video
- One country or two? The Eastern Ukraine region of Donetsk is having its Quebec moment where families and friends either disagree furiously over separation, or learn to bite their tongues.
- New Keystone XL protesters get wet, but not arrested, in D.C. video
- Members of the Cowboy and Indian Alliance managed to pull off an anti-Keystone XL pipeline protest in the reflecting pool that lies in front of the famous Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., on Thursday without getting arrested.
- Updated Simon Ostrovsky, U.S. journalist held in Ukraine, now free video
- Simon Ostrovsky, the U.S. journalist who was being held by pro-Russian gunmen in eastern Ukraine, was freed Thursday.
- New Andy Warhol works discovered on floppy disks from 1985
- He may have been an international art star, but it appears as though Andy Warhol had just as much fun playing around with digital paint programs as anyone else with access to a computer in 1985.