The Essay Project
Dispatches is well known to champion the radio documentary - a craft where expressions like "people are our pictures" and "sounds are our scenes" are prominent. But we also pay deep respect for the oldest of all dispatches. The letter home. The craft of the written word. Short. To the point. A little personal. Sometimes cheeky.
These radio essays (click "read more" below) spell out timely observations, wrapped in the tone of the voice of the writer. Sometimes a little sound punctuates that.
It's a selection of letters home from (mostly) Canadian correspondents abroad, that we've been happy to feature since Dispatches went to air in 2001.Read more »
Categories: Promo Box
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Iraq government investigating airstrike on mosque that left 13 dead
- Iraqi forces shelled Islamic State positions outside Mosul on Monday as fighting to retake the extremist-held city entered its second week. A rights group, meanwhile, urged a probe into a suspected airstrike last week that mistakenly hit a mosque, killing over a dozen civilians.
- Tom Hayden, Chicago 8 anti-war activist and later a politician, dead at 76
- Tom Hayden, the famed 1960s anti-war activist who moved beyond his notoriety as a Chicago 8 defendant to become a California legislator, author and lecturer, has died. He was 76.
- Sailors abducted 4½ years ago by Somali pirates freed
- Following more than four years in captivity, 26 Asian sailors held hostage by Somali pirates have been rescued from their captors, China's Foreign Ministry confirmed Monday.
- Clinton and Democrats are looking past Trump, focusing on winning House and Senate seats
- Hillary Clinton says she doesn't "even think about responding" to Trump anymore and would instead spend the final weeks on the road "emphasizing the importance of electing Democrats down the ballot" in an effort to help them seize the Senate and chip away at the Republican-controlled House.
- At least 13 killed, dozens injured in California tour bus crash video
- A tour bus crashed into the back of a semi-truck on a southern California highway before dawn on Sunday, killing 13 people and injuring 31, an NBC affiliate reported.