Connie Watson's Fixer: the face of a new kind of Cuba
Cuban film maker Rolando Almirante working on a set in Old Havana. His movie documenting the roots of son music is but one of the many projects he's been able to launch with the new economic freedoms being allowed by the country's Communist regime. (Photo: Connie Watson)
When correspondents arrive in foreign countries they have to hit the ground running, and do it with the help of savvy local hires we call "fixers."
They give us the lay of the land and help us find the people and events that tell the story of the place.
But for the CBC's Latin America correspondent Connie Watson, her fixer turned out to be the story of a new kind of Cuba, even as he guided her through the Pope's recent tour of the country.
Categories: Promo Box
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Updated At least 13 killed, dozens injured in California tour bus crash video
- A tour bus crashed into the back of a semi-truck on a southern California highway before dawn on Sunday, killing 13 people and injuring 31, an NBC affiliate reported.
- 83 Nigerian soldiers missing after Boko Haram attack
- Senior military officers say 83 soldiers are missing after Boko Haram Islamic extremists attacked a remote base in northeastern Nigeria. Widows of civilians who joined the fight against Boko Haram were given food aid last week, after months of neglect.
- AT&T's $85B US bid for Time Warner sparks antitrust fears in Washington
- AT&T Inc's agreement to acquire Time Warner Inc for $85 billion US drew skepticism from both Democrats and Republicans on Sunday, making it more likely that regulators will scrutinize the effort to create a new telecommunications and media giant.
- Iraqi, Kurdish forces join to drive ISIS from Mosul
- Iraqi and Kurdish forces launched a new offensive Sunday on a town near Mosul as part of a massive operation aimed at retaking the country's second largest city from the Islamic State group.
- Dueling droughts: Cubs, Indians set to meet in World Series
- At long, long last, it's true: Either the Chicago Cubs or Cleveland Indians will win the World Series. The matchup between teams that forever waited till next year — next century, really — is finally here.