Sri Lanka tourism vs. the fisherfolk
Fishermen need the beach for their traditional method of stringing and bringing in nets from the shore rather than from boats. New resorts would displace them. Photo/Yasmeen Qureshi
The south Asian island of Sri Lanka is in a hurry to overcome its wartime past.
Just two years since the end of a long military confrontation, it plans to bung 17 resorts along one stretch of sandy shoreline.
But with developers pre-occupied with building a better beachfront, there's growing concern among the hundreds of thousands still fishing off it.
The situation has echoes of the conflict only recently ended. Canadian journalist Yasmeen Qureshi is on the beach.
Produced with Lily Jamali in Sri Lanka.
Thanks to the CBC's Flavia Missier and Jeevan Pragasam for voicing the English translations in that report.
Categories: Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Iraq government investigating airstrike on mosque that left 13 dead
- Iraqi forces shelled Islamic State positions outside Mosul on Monday as fighting to retake the extremist-held city entered its second week. A rights group, meanwhile, urged a probe into a suspected airstrike last week that mistakenly hit a mosque, killing over a dozen civilians.
- Tom Hayden, Chicago 8 anti-war activist and later a politician, dead at 76
- Tom Hayden, the famed 1960s anti-war activist who moved beyond his notoriety as a Chicago 8 defendant to become a California legislator, author and lecturer, has died. He was 76.
- Sailors abducted 4½ years ago by Somali pirates freed
- Following more than four years in captivity, 26 Asian sailors held hostage by Somali pirates have been rescued from their captors, China's Foreign Ministry confirmed Monday.
- Clinton and Democrats are looking past Trump, focusing on winning House and Senate seats
- Hillary Clinton says she doesn't "even think about responding" to Trump anymore and would instead spend the final weeks on the road "emphasizing the importance of electing Democrats down the ballot" in an effort to help them seize the Senate and chip away at the Republican-controlled House.
- At least 13 killed, dozens injured in California tour bus crash video
- A tour bus crashed into the back of a semi-truck on a southern California highway before dawn on Sunday, killing 13 people and injuring 31, an NBC affiliate reported.