India's surprise link to the heyday of jazz
Carlton Kitto (l) rehearses with fellow musicians in Calcutta, India, where Kitto continues his lifelong career as a Jazz musician. Photo/ courtesy of "Finding Carlton".
India's spicy import
Jazz! Since birth in the early 19-hundreds in the southern U.S., it's gone on to find a home in many other countries.
Soho Blues is thought to be the first jazz ever recorded...in India, way back in 1926 in Calcutta, led by Canadian trumpeter Jimmy Lequime.
It was all a long time ago, but some wonder who were these players?
And how did jazz wind up in India?
Filmmaker Susheel Kurien traced it from the twenties to a man in Calcutta today, one of the few jazz musicians left in India, custodian of a fading culture.
His documentary is called Finding Carlton; the story of jazz in India.
Categories: Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New 'Raging' 10-alarm fire engulfs buildings and cars in Cambridge, Mass.
- Firefighters were battling a major, multiple-alarm fire of several buildings in Cambridge, Mass., the city's fire department said on Twitter.
- Live After 4-day funeral trek, Cuba saying goodbye to Fidel Castro with mass rally video
- The cremated remains of Fidel Castro, which have been taken on a slow and winding journey across the island, arrived in the eastern city of Santiago de Cuba, where a rally was scheduled to honour the former leader.
- 'It's just a ploy': North Dakota protesters reject help from officials to leave as winter descends video
- The head of North Dakota's emergency management services says the state is prepared to respond to Dakota Access pipeline protesters who may need help during a winter storm or some other crisis, but some protesters on their way to the site are it's "just a ploy" to get them out.
- Updated Up to 40 feared dead in California warehouse party fire
- A massive fire broke out in Oakland, Calif., during a late-night party in a warehouse that housed artist studios, killing at least nine people and as many as 40, officials said.
- A look at Donald Trump's presidential transition to-do list
- Since winning the Nov. 8 U.S. election, Donald Trump has spent much of his time hunkered down with advisers in his Trump Tower in Manhattan as he prepares to become the country's 45th president on Jan. 20. Here's a brief overview of what he's crossed off his transition to-do list and what's left.