India's surprise link to the heyday of jazz
Carlton Kitto (l) rehearses with fellow musicians in Calcutta, India, where Kitto continues his lifelong career as a Jazz musician. Photo/ courtesy of "Finding Carlton".
India's spicy import
Jazz! Since birth in the early 19-hundreds in the southern U.S., it's gone on to find a home in many other countries.
Soho Blues is thought to be the first jazz ever recorded...in India, way back in 1926 in Calcutta, led by Canadian trumpeter Jimmy Lequime.
It was all a long time ago, but some wonder who were these players?
And how did jazz wind up in India?
Filmmaker Susheel Kurien traced it from the twenties to a man in Calcutta today, one of the few jazz musicians left in India, custodian of a fading culture.
His documentary is called Finding Carlton; the story of jazz in India.
Categories: Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN SYRIA Freedom in Jarabulus: Syrian border town rebuilds post-ISIS video
- Liberated from ISIS, thousands of refugees are returning to what is left of Jarabulus, Syria, which neighbouring Turkey is helping to rebuild. The Turkish government takes CBC News on a tour of the town.
- Analysis Trump's refusal to say he'll accept election results fuel for supporters' agitation: Keith Boag video
- In the third and final debate in the U.S. presidential campaign, Donald Trump once again hinted he could fight a transfer of power to the Democrats if he loses the November vote.
- CBC in CALAIS Uncertainty reigns as Calais 'jungle' refugee camp closure looms video
- French authorities are about to dismantle the sprawling, squalid migrant camp in Calais, but it's unclear what will happen to the thousands of people who've been staying there.
- Donald Trump says he would accept 'a clear' election result, but challenge a 'questionable' one video
- Republican Donald Trump on Thursday said he would accept a "clear" election result but reserved the right to file a legal challenge, clarifying his stance a day after he refused to promise he would trust the outcome if he loses on Nov. 8.
- Iraqi special forces join battle for Mosul video
- Iraqi special forces charge into the Mosul battle with a predawn advance on a nearby town held by ISIS, a key part of a multi-pronged assault on eastern approaches to the besieged city.