From Spain via Israel -- Ladino music revival
Isareli singer Yasmin Levy's father preserved Ladino folk songs from Spain which she is re-styling for new audiences. Photo/Ali Taskiran
Ladino is the music Jews took with them when they were expelled from Spain in 1492. It's finding new audiences, thanks to artists like Yasmin Levy.
Thanks to Dispatches contributor Maria Bakkalapulo in Glasgow at the Celtic Connections music festival.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- In Depth Rhino poachers face attack by South African military video
- WARNING: This story contains disturbing details. The fight to save South Africa's rhinos is ramping up as record-high levels of poaching fuel fears that the animals might soon become extinct. Conservationists say they are waging war against poachers, who are driven by the large sums rhino horns fetch on the black market.
- Syrian girl's 'surrender' to photographer caught in heartbreaking image
- When photojournalist Osman Sagirli approached four-year-old Hudea, the refugee girl raised her hands in surrender, thinking his camera was a gun. The resulting photo has spread around the world, becoming a symbol of the human toll of the war in Syria.
- Mexico oil platform fire kills 4, injures 16
- A massive ball of flames engulfed an oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday, killing four people and sending terrified workers jumping into the sea.
- Robert Menendez, U.S. senator, indicted for corruption
- U.S. Democratic Senator Robert Menendez of New Jersey was indicted on Wednesday on corruption charges, a U.S. Justice Department spokesman said.
- New Russian trawler sinks in Sea of Okhotsk, 54 crew members dead
- A freezer trawler with an international crew of 132 sank late Wednesday in the Sea of Okhotsk off of the Kamchatka Peninsula and at least 54 crew members were killed, rescue workers said.