From Spain via Israel -- Ladino music revival
Isareli singer Yasmin Levy's father preserved Ladino folk songs from Spain which she is re-styling for new audiences. Photo/Ali Taskiran
Ladino is the music Jews took with them when they were expelled from Spain in 1492. It's finding new audiences, thanks to artists like Yasmin Levy.
Thanks to Dispatches contributor Maria Bakkalapulo in Glasgow at the Celtic Connections music festival.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis What the first 100 days of power reveal about Donald Trump video
- Now that Donald Trump has had a few months with the power to do what he always wanted to do, here's what we've seen him do.
- Climate protests mark Trump's 100 days in office
- For the second time in a month, tens of thousands of protesters are expected to turn out around the world Saturday to voice concern over climate change in a mass demonstration marking the 100th day of Donald Trump's presidency.
- Wikipedia blocked in Turkey
- Access to Wikipedia has been blocked in Turkey because of content presenting the country as supporting terror.
- North Korea's missile test fire fails hours after UN meeting on nukes
- A North Korean mid-range ballistic missile apparently failed shortly after launch, South Korea and the U.S. said, the third test-fire flop just this month but a clear message of defiance as a U.S. supercarrier conducts drills in nearby waters.
- EU: No trade deal with Britain until key Brexit terms decided
- European Union leaders on Saturday finished a special European summit on Brexit where they endorsed a stiff set of terms for negotiations with the U.K. over its departure from the bloc.