What do China's twin crises mean?
Activist Chen Guangcheng became the center of a diplomatic crisis between the U.S. and China since he was granted refuge in the American embassy in Beijing. (Photo: Reuters)
Challenges for China's rulers
And it's embarassing the leadership.
It began with the fall of Bo Xilai, a former Communist party boss, ostensibly for breaking party discipline, but also involves his wife, and a dead British businessman.
It was followed by the escape of a blind dissident who evaded house arrest and briefly took sanctuary in the US Embassy in Beijing.
How this gets resolved may change the face of the ruling Politburo. And for context, Rick spoke with longtime correspondent and Beijing resident Patrick Brown, who is familiar with both cases and has met Bo personally.
Listen to Rick's conversation with Patrick
Patrick Brown is a former CBC Correspondent who's been living in China for the past 9 years. He was in British Columbia.
Categories: News Promo
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Shimon Peres, former prime minister of Israel, dead at 93 video
- Shimon Peres, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate and one of Israel's founding fathers, has died. He was 93.
- Peres saw hope for world shaped by younger generations: Peter Mansbridge video
- CBC News chief correspondent Peter Mansbridge recollects a dinner in Toronto with Shimon Peres, still lively and engaging in his 92nd year.
- Trump, Clinton set U.S. television record for debate audience
- The first presidential debate between Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump drew 84 million U.S. television viewers, a record for such an event and numbers rarely seen on TV in the age of digital streaming and social media.
- Typhoon Megi continues deadly path to China from Taiwan
- A massive typhoon left one person dead in eastern China on Wednesday, a day after killing four and injuring 260 in Taiwan.
- Photos Israeli elder statesman Shimon Peres's life in politics
- The former Israeli president, three-time prime minister and Nobel Peace Prize winner is died at age 93 on Sept. 28, weeks after suffering a major stroke. Here's a look at the 93-year-old elder statesman's life in politics.