Cape Town "car guards" offer "protection"
A few weeks ago, Anders Kelto told us about car guards in Cape Town
Lionel is a "Beach Buddy" in Muizenberg, a suburb of Cape Town, South Africa. They're licensed versions of the ubiquitous "car guards", who demand payment to watch over parked cars and (sometimes) guard against theft. (Photo: Anders Kelto)
Categories: Africa, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN JAPAN Canada expects 'strong' G7 statement against paying hostage ransoms
- The G7 is poised to take a strong stand against the practice of governments paying ransoms for hostages kidnapped by groups with links to terrorism, one of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's top priorities at this summit of world leaders.
- Justin Trudeau, G7 leaders begin Japan summit
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and fellow leaders of the Group of Seven advanced economies began their summit Thursday by visiting Ise Shrine, the most hallowed site for Japan's indigenous Shinto religion — one of many aspects of the gathering that dovetail with Abe's long-term diplomatic and political agenda.
- Unemployment in recession tied to hundreds of thousands of excess cancer deaths
- Cancer death rates increased in many countries as unemployment rose during the global economic crisis but universal health coverage such as Canada's provided a buffer, according to a large international study.
- Huge swarms of bats wreak destruction in Australian town video
- More than 100,000 bats have descended on the holiday town of Batemans Bay in New South Wales, Australia, with one local politician declaring it a disaster after residents were hit with a wave of dirt and destruction.
- Hillary Clinton ignored State Department rules with private email server, audit finds
- Hillary Clinton disregarded various State Department guidelines for avoiding cybersecurity risks, an internal audit finds, faulting her and past secretaries of state for weak information management.