Cape Town "car guards" offer "protection"
A few weeks ago, Anders Kelto told us about car guards in Cape Town
Lionel is a "Beach Buddy" in Muizenberg, a suburb of Cape Town, South Africa. They're licensed versions of the ubiquitous "car guards", who demand payment to watch over parked cars and (sometimes) guard against theft. (Photo: Anders Kelto)
Categories: Africa, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Tsunami anniversary marked at Indonesian mosque that survived
- Thousands of Indonesians gathered on Thursday to pray at a mosque that was one of the few buildings left standing in Banda Aceh, the city flattened by the Boxing Day tsunami that killed at least 226,000 people 10 years ago.
- Queen Elizabeth calls for harmony in Christmas message video
- Queen Elizabeth used her traditional Christmas broadcast to call for international reconciliation and praise medical workers fighting Ebola in Africa.
- New Former president George H. W. Bush to spend another night in hospital
- Former U.S. president George H.W. Bush remained hospitalized on Thursday near his home in Houston after experiencing shortness of breath this week, and was in "great spirits," his spokesman said.
- Photos 2014: Top images of the year
- Photographic highlights of the year include images from the crisis in Ukraine, the D-Day 70th anniversary, the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 and the Sochi Olympics.
- Video Russian shopping mall lays down U.S. flag doormats video
- A shopping mall in central Moscow has put down U.S. flag doormats at its entrance for customers to wipe their feet in a show of defiance against U.S. policies towards Russia.