Cape Town "car guards" offer "protection"
A few weeks ago, Anders Kelto told us about car guards in Cape Town
Lionel is a "Beach Buddy" in Muizenberg, a suburb of Cape Town, South Africa. They're licensed versions of the ubiquitous "car guards", who demand payment to watch over parked cars and (sometimes) guard against theft. (Photo: Anders Kelto)
Categories: Africa, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Clinton vs. Trump: Clashing debate-prep styles hint at sharp contrasts on stage video
- Tonight's first presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton is a study in personality clashes. It’s also a test of two opposing preparation strategies, one of which may not involve much prep at all.
- Analysis Rancid small-state nationalism surges in Europe: Don Murray
- Two referendums and an election in southern Europe are setting emotions swirling and stirring up political havoc.
- Updated Shooting at Texas shopping centre injures 6, gunman shot dead
- At least six people have been injured in a shooting at a shopping centre in Houston, Texas, according to local media and emergency officials.
- New China begins operating world's largest radio telescope
- The world's largest radio telescope began searching for signals from stars and galaxies and, perhaps, extraterrestrial life Sunday in a project demonstrating China's rising ambitions in space and its pursuit of international scientific prestige.
- In Depth Dalai Lama envoy says Canada-China free trade must factor in Tibetan crisis
- Tibetan rights advocates believe Justin Trudeau may have the credibility needed to get China back to the negotiating table with the Dalai Lama and his representatives.