Cape Town "car guards" offer "protection"
A few weeks ago, Anders Kelto told us about car guards in Cape Town
Lionel is a "Beach Buddy" in Muizenberg, a suburb of Cape Town, South Africa. They're licensed versions of the ubiquitous "car guards", who demand payment to watch over parked cars and (sometimes) guard against theft. (Photo: Anders Kelto)
Categories: Africa, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN ITALY As aftershock hits, residents vow to remain hopeful 'right to the end' video
- A magnitude 4.3 aftershock in Amatrice Thursday sent frightened people running for open ground and prompted panicked residents to yell angrily at anyone standing close to a building that didn't look stable, the CBC's Margaret Evans reports.
- New Judge in Stanford sex assault trial leaving criminal cases
- A California court said Thursday that a judge who was harshly criticized and subjected to a recall campaign for the leniency of a six-month jail sentence for a former Stanford University swimmer who sexually assaulted an unconscious woman will no longer hear criminal cases, a move that came at his own request.
- Analysis 'The battle of ideas begins': Why the deal to end Colombia's 5-decade war is no guarantee of easy peace
- As much as the deal to end Colombia's five-decade war has been cheered in the South American country, the accord is also extremely controversial because the FARC rebel group is so widely despised, John Otis writes from Bogota.
- Canadian among the dead in Italy's earthquake
- A Canadian citizen is among the dead in the devastating earthquake in Italy that killed at least 250 people yesterday, Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion says.
- Clinton, Trump spar over who is best for black and Latino voters
- Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump clashed on Thursday over who would make a better U.S. president for minority voters, accusing each other of posing a threat to the interests of black and Latino people.