Mexico's vigilante mayor
CBC correspondent Keith Boag has been reporting all week on drug-related violence in Mexico. (Photo: CBC)
One of the most dangerous countries in Latin America is also home, oddly enough, to one of its safest neighbourhoods.
With vicious drug gangs ravaging much of the rest of Mexico, you have to wonder what's so special about the city of San Pedro, part of Greater Monterrey.
That's one of the questions CBC correspondent Keith Boag set out to answer in a series of stories he's been filing about the insecurity in Mexico.
And for San Pedro, the key to peace seems to be the charming rogue in the Mayor's office who plays by own his disturbing rules.
To answer some of the questions that story raises, Keith joined Rick for a brief interview. Rick began by asking about the film Keith mentions, all about this mayor. What else does it reveal about him?
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Canadians among Mount Everest climbers hit by quake, avalanche video
- Climbers ran for their lives Saturday after a huge earthquake in Nepal unleashed an avalanche that killed at least 10 people at Mount Everest base camp. Some Canadians on the mountain have reported that they are OK, but it is unknown if any are among the dead or wounded.
- Updated Nepal earthquake deaths surpasses 1,300 video
- A powerful earthquake struck Nepal on Saturday, killing more than 1,300 people across a swath of four countries as powerful shakes collapsed houses, levelled centuries-old temples and triggered avalanches on Mount Everest.
- Gallipoli: fallen soldiers honoured 100 years after WWI campaign video
- Many gathered on a peninsula in Turkey marking the exact moment 100 years ago when thousands of Allied soldier made an ill-fated invasion to clear a naval route from the Mediterranean to Istanbul to take the Ottomans out of the war.
- Royal Baby 2: The risks and rewards of being 'the spare' to the throne
- As the No. 2 royal baby after big brother Prince George, the second child of Prince William and Kate can expect of life of perks. But being the spare to an heir to the throne can also mean a tougher time finding a role in life.
- Live Freddie Gray should have received medical attention before arrest: Baltimore police video
- Baltimore police say Freddie Gray should have received medical care before he was put in a police van. The 25-year-old black man died of a spinal injury a week after he was arrested and transported in a police van.