Lanse kòd animate Jacmel Carnival
Carnival spectators watch as the lanse kòd pass by on the parade route. Lanse kòd, or the rope-throwers, work out for months to prepare for their menacing role in Jacmel, Haiti's Carnival parade. (Photo: Ben Depp)
The past few weeks have been the season of carnivals in the Americas, but when it comes to street celebrations there's over-the-top, and then there's Haiti.
In the southern town of Jacmel, for example, the drunky-go-lucky atmosphere of Rio or Mardi Gras in New Orleans, is instead a parade of aggression, summoned from the country's dark history.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Analysis A Brexit vote to settle 1 party's rift creates multitude of others: Nahlah Ayed video
- With Britain's historic vote to exit the European Union only a few hours old, the country is not only worryingly polarized but also well into the process of a massive political correction — all precipitated by the dicey actions of its prime minister, writes the CBC's Nahlah Ayed from London.
- CBC IN BRUSSELS Leave victory should send chill down EU's collective spine
- You could almost feel the hulking edifices that house the European Union’s main institutions in Brussels shrinking in on themselves as the news arrived with a grey dawn that one of their own, even if only reluctantly so, would be leaving after all — divorce papers to be delivered soon.
- Britons ask Google their questions about Brexit, EU
- The United Kingdom's historic vote to exit the European Union is dominating the conversation online as well as in global headlines.
- Millennial frustration with the Brexit vote
- As the results of Thursday's nail-biting Brexit vote came rolling in, some of the strongest reactions came from young people in the U.K.
- Brexit makes headlines around the world
- Britain's decision to leave the European Union left the world stunned and prompted a mixture of headlines around the world.