A box full of light saves lives
Solar panels, lights, and battery chargers. All that's needed to give doctors and patients a chance when the power goes out. Photo/We Care Solar
They were in the middle of surgery again when the power went out in the Nigerian operating room.
Luckily, a visiting American doctor had a flashlight.
But Laura Stachel figured there had to be a way around the recurring problem.
And with husband Hal Aronson, a solar energy educator in California, they came up with something called the Solar Suitcase.
She joined us while unpacking one in a maternity clinic in another part of Africa to explain how it's providing lifesaving light.
Dr. Laura Stachel at work with her Solar Suitcase in Sierra Leone. She's co-founder of WE CARE Solar, creating technology to benefit maternal health in the developing world.
Thanks to Lisa Russell for helping us record that interview with Laura Stachel in Sierra Leone.
Categories: Africa, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis CETA: After 3 missed deadlines, why isn't the Canada-EU summit cancelled? video
- International Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland's explanations Monday seemed to be building toward a logical conclusion: Justin Trudeau isn't getting on a plane to Brussels this week. But she didn't actually say that. Why not?
- Trump says Clinton's plans for Syria would 'lead to WW III'
- U.S. Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump said on Tuesday that Democrat Hillary Clinton's plan for Syria would "lead to World War Three," because of the potential for conflict with military forces from nuclear-armed Russia.
- 'Above politics': MPs vote unanimously to bring Yazidi refugees to Canada in 4 months
- MPs have unanimously supported a Conservative motion that formally declares ISIS persecution of Yazidis a genocide and commits to bringing Yazidi refugees to Canada within 120 days.
- 'Brain On Drugs' campaign guy now supports legalizing marijuana
- California could legalize recreational marijuana in this year's election, and even John Roselius, the star of a famous 1987 anti-drug PSA, is saying "yes" to Proposition 64.
- Survivors describe chaotic attack at Pakistani police academy that killed 61, injured 123 video
- Survivors of an overnight attack that killed 61 people at a Pakistani police academy described chaotic scenes of gunfire and explosions, with militants shooting anyone they saw and cadets running for their lives and jumping from windows and rooftops.