A box full of light saves lives
Solar panels, lights, and battery chargers. All that's needed to give doctors and patients a chance when the power goes out. Photo/We Care Solar
They were in the middle of surgery again when the power went out in the Nigerian operating room.
Luckily, a visiting American doctor had a flashlight.
But Laura Stachel figured there had to be a way around the recurring problem.
And with husband Hal Aronson, a solar energy educator in California, they came up with something called the Solar Suitcase.
She joined us while unpacking one in a maternity clinic in another part of Africa to explain how it's providing lifesaving light.
Dr. Laura Stachel at work with her Solar Suitcase in Sierra Leone. She's co-founder of WE CARE Solar, creating technology to benefit maternal health in the developing world.
Thanks to Lisa Russell for helping us record that interview with Laura Stachel in Sierra Leone.
Categories: Africa, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Breaking Chuck Hagel, U.S. defence secretary, reported to be stepping down
- U.S. Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel is stepping down from President Barack Obama's Cabinet, senior administration officials said Monday, following a tenure in which he has struggled to break through the White House's insular foreign policy team.
- New Ferguson grand jury decision yet to come on Michael Brown shooting video
- The weekend passes without a grand jury decision in Ferguson, Mo., about whether to indict a white police officer in the shooting death of Michael Brown, an unarmed black, fueling speculation about the timing as protesters demand justice for the 18-year-old boy.
- Tamir Rice, 12, identified as boy fatally shot by police while brandishing toy gun
- A 12-year-old boy brandishing what turned out to be a replica gun was killed Sunday when he was shot by a Cleveland police officer responding to a 911 call about a person waving a gun in a park.
- Updated Buffalo, N.Y., braces for flooding, with 15 C and rain forecast video
- Temperatures in snowbound Buffalo, N.Y., were expected to reach more than 15 C today, causing residents to prepare for evacuations caused by runoff from about two metres of snow melting.
- Iran nuclear talks miss deadline, extended to end of June
- Nuclear negotiators have failed to meet a Monday deadline for a deal that would ease international concerns about Iran's atomic program and are poised to extend the negotiations for a comprehensive agreement until July 2015, diplomats said.