Jamaicans say "we should have remained a British colony"
Jamaica celebrates 50 years of independence this year. But the government says it wants to go further and it's calling for a complete break with Britain.
Right now, it's a "commonwealth realm," like Canada, with the Queen as its monarch and head of state.
But Jamaica's plans to re-invent itself as a republic, come as surveys show most people aren't enjoying independence, and wish their country had remained a colony.
Bit of a patriotic paradox really. One that's weighing on the anniversary preparations, as Dispatches contributor Nick Davis discovered after dropping in on a musician who's marking it with music.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Russian opposition activist Alexei Navalny arrested during protest
- Police detained hundreds of protesters across Russia on Sunday, including opposition leader Alexei Navalny, after thousands took to the streets to demonstrate against corruption and demand the resignation of Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
- Trump, after blaming Democrats, now also faults conservatives for failed health-care bill
- U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday attacked conservative lawmakers for the failure of the Republican bill to replace Barack Obama's health-care law as his aides pledged to court moderate Democrats on upcoming initiatives from health care to tax cuts.
- U.S.-backed troops capture Syrian airbase from ISIS
- U.S.-backed Syrian Kurdish forces captured a strategically important airbase from Islamic State militants in north Syria on Sunday in the first major victory for the group since the U.S. airlifted the forces behind enemy lines four days ago.
- Khalid Masood reportedly used WhatsApp minutes before London attack
- British interior minister Amber Rudd said on Sunday end-to-end encryption of messages offered by services like Whatsapp are "completely unacceptable" and there should be no "secret place for terrorists to communicate."
- South Korea to seek arrest warrant for impeached ex-president Park
- South Korean prosecutors said Monday that they want a court to issue a warrant to arrest former President Park Geun-hye on corruption allegations.