Jamaicans say "we should have remained a British colony"
Jamaica celebrates 50 years of independence this year. But the government says it wants to go further and it's calling for a complete break with Britain.
Right now, it's a "commonwealth realm," like Canada, with the Queen as its monarch and head of state.
But Jamaica's plans to re-invent itself as a republic, come as surveys show most people aren't enjoying independence, and wish their country had remained a colony.
Bit of a patriotic paradox really. One that's weighing on the anniversary preparations, as Dispatches contributor Nick Davis discovered after dropping in on a musician who's marking it with music.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- California warehouse fire kills at least 24, search for victims could last days video
- Fire crews worked through the night and into Sunday morning in Oakland, Calif., following a deadly warehouse party fire on Friday night. Twenty-four people are confirmed dead and others remain unaccounted for.
- CBC IN CUBA 'I never stayed to see if they were dead': Natalia Bolivar, 82, unsentimental about role in Cuban Revolution video
- At 82 and with an upper-class pedigree, Natalia Bolivar doesn't seem like the typical Cuban revolutionary. That is, until she matter-of-factly begins to recount how she stormed a Havana police station wielding a machine gun, smuggled arms to opposition groups and had all her ribs broken during a police interrogation.
- High-stakes referendum: Is Italy next in line for populist shock?
- Italians were voting Sunday in a referendum on constitutional reforms that is being closely watched abroad to see if Italy becomes the next country to reject the political status quo.
- Up to 40 feared dead in California warehouse party fire video
- The city of Oakland, Calif., had been investigating whether people were illegally living in a warehouse that was the site of a deadly fire that broke out during a late-night party on Friday, killing at least nine people and as many as 40, officials said on Saturday.
- CBC IN CUBA Fidel Castro's remains interred in private ceremony in eastern Cuba video
- The cremated remains of Fidel Castro were interred at a Santiago de Cuba cemetery today during a private ceremony, marking the end of the nine-day national mourning period established after the former leader’s death.