Romania outreach for Roma kids a bust
Alin, one of the three subjects of Our School, is a rambunctious, carefree Roma child who's seen as "a problem" when he goes to the big, Romanian school in town. Photo: Mona Nicoara
Our School/their school
Romania's building new schools to educate the children of the Roma, which sounds like a good thing for a population that's been scorned as gypsies, and ghettoized in Europe for generations.
But there's not much good about it really.
The courts said Romania's history of enforced segregation is illegal, so the European Union put up the money to integrate Roma kids in 30 different towns. But it's flying apart.
Filmmaker Mona Nicoara wanted to know why. So she's made a documentary she calls Our School. It features three Roma kids in a small town in Transylvania, where their prospects for a better future are being slowly snuffed out.
Add yours (Please leave your name and where you're mailing from, to be posted)
Our School was shown last month at the Lincoln Centre in New York, and screening later this month, at film festivals in the Swiss town of Soleure and Trieste in Italy.
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- 'He wants Americans to love him': Trump biographers on what kind of president he'll be
- Donald Trump's need for approval as well as his insecurities over his intellect and wealth offer insight into how he'll act as U.S. president, say two of his biographers.
- A softer side of government: How Larry the cat became a purr-fect political companion on Downing Street video
- Larry the rescue cat lives at 10 Downing Street, and although he doesn’t do much in the way of policy, he has become the furry face of a more relatable U.K. government.
- Trump overstates inauguration crowd as Women's March appears to draw bigger turnout video
- There were early signs across the U.S. that the number of people who attended the Women's March on Washington in Saturday could top those who gathered on Friday to watch U.S. President Donald Trump's inauguration.
- At least 32 dead in India train derailment
- At least 32 people were killed and 50 others injured after a passenger train derailed in southern India, railway officials said Sunday.
- 12 bodies recovered after landslide buries hotel in China
- Authorities in China say they've recovered the bodies of 12 people killed inside a hotel overrun by a landslide.