Old pop bottles light up lives of Manila's poor
Sheila Royeras points to the new solar light bulb that's made from an old pop bottle. Photo/Simone Orendain
A litre of light
Discarded plastic bottles are throwing new light in a Philippine slum today in ways he'd never have imagined.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- CBC IN PENNSYLVANIA Why Donald Trump's path to win Pennsylvania runs uphill
- U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and his running mate Mike Pence have spent a lot of time in Pennsylvania. His campaign is resonating in some areas of the state, but will they be enough to put him over the top on Nov. 8?
- 20 years after landmine ban, deaths and injuries down dramatically
- This week marks 20 years since the beginning of the Ottawa Process that led to an international ban on landmines. Canada was instrumental in achieving that treaty, which has been a great success. Activists are now setting their sights on achieving total removal of mines by 2025.
- Analysis Gingrich is above discussing sex lives of politicians? That's a howler: Keith Boag
- Nearly 20 years after leading the charge to impeach President Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich still bemoans the media fascination with sex over policy. The pretense that he's a policy guy who floats above the unseemliness of character investigations is laughable, Keith Boag writes.
- Video Suspect arrested in vandalism of Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame star: report
- Los Angeles police took a man into custody Thursday on suspicion of felony vandalism, reports Variety, after Donald Trump's plaque was destroyed by a pickaxe-wielding vandal.
- Breaking Twitter announces it's discontinuing Vine
- Vine announced Thursday it will be discontinuing its mobile app known for its looping six-second clips that launched memes and the careers of young social media stars since it launched in 2013.