Old pop bottles light up lives of Manila's poor
Sheila Royeras points to the new solar light bulb that's made from an old pop bottle. Photo/Simone Orendain
A litre of light
Discarded plastic bottles are throwing new light in a Philippine slum today in ways he'd never have imagined.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 search intensifies as mystery deepens video
- The search for the missing Malaysian jet pushed deep into the northern and southern hemispheres Monday as Australia scoured the southern Indian Ocean and China offered 21 satellites to respond to Malaysia's call for help in the unprecedented hunt.
- Lev Tahor family watched in Guatemala at Canada's request, official says video audio
- Authorities in Guatemala agreed to a request from Canadian officials to keep tabs on one of two Lev Tahor families that fled Canada earlier this month, a Guatemalan immigration spokesman said Monday.
- Oscar Pistorius murder trial: Gun training academy manager testifies
- Months before he killed his girlfriend, Oscar Pistorius described how he drew his gun and went into "combat mode" after hearing the noise of a possible intruder at home, which turned out to be a laundry machine, a South African guns expert testified Monday at the athlete's murder trial.
- Photos Afghanistan's growing crisis: Undernourished children
- CBC's Paul Hunter visits Kabul's Indira Gandhi Hospital. An estimated 10 per cent of Afghan children suffer some degree of malnutrition.
- Venezuelan forces take control of protest plaza in Caracas
- Security forces on Monday took control of a Caracas plaza that has been at the heart of anti-government protests that have shaken Venezuela for a month.