Amsterdam "Santa's" helpers in blackface
Sinteklaas arrives with his black-faced helpers. They're loveable rascals, but some see them as slaves. Photo/Lauren Comiteau
Just plain offensive? Or just all in good fun?
We asked for your opinions; there are many responses in Your Dispatches
The holiday season may be a time of brotherly love and all, but in the Low Countries, it's becme the yearly collision of European and post-colonial sensibilities.
It starts with the Dutch tradition of celebrating a white-haired sort of Santa figure called Sinterklaas, and his little blackfaced helpers.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Suspect identified in Colorado Planned Parenthood shooting video
- A gunman burst into a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs, Colo., and opened fire, launching several gunbattles and an hours-long standoff with police as patients and staff took cover.
- California and Canada working toward joint climate change solutions
- Ontario will soon join California and Quebec in a massive joint cap-and-trade program. In these jurisdictions, businesses that want to emit more than their quota of greenhouse gases can buy carbon credits from companies that burn less.
- Washington's National Mall deploys border collies to shoo pooping Canada geese
- Washington’s National Mall, a symbol of American strength and reflection, has long served as an open toilet for Canada geese. Not anymore, thanks to a team of highly trained border collies working for the National Park Service.
- UN chief warns climate change could have link with terrorism
- The UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon says the attacks in Paris can’t overshadow efforts to reach a climate change agreement at next week's summit. He also warns in an exclusive CBC interview of a possible link between climate change and terrorism.
- Turkish president expresses regret over Russian plane downing
- Turkey's president has told supporter that he was saddened by the downing of a Russian warplane by Turkish forces.