Amsterdam "Santa's" helpers in blackface
Sinteklaas arrives with his black-faced helpers. They're loveable rascals, but some see them as slaves. Photo/Lauren Comiteau
Just plain offensive? Or just all in good fun?
We asked for your opinions; there are many responses in Your Dispatches
The holiday season may be a time of brotherly love and all, but in the Low Countries, it's becme the yearly collision of European and post-colonial sensibilities.
It starts with the Dutch tradition of celebrating a white-haired sort of Santa figure called Sinterklaas, and his little blackfaced helpers.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- U.S. election explained: Americans vote for a lot more than just the president on Nov. 8
- The U.S. presidential election on Nov. 8 is already historic for the record number of Americans who have registered to vote: 200 million and counting. But when they show up to the polls, they will be voting for a lot more than who will occupy the White House.
- 'We're here to preserve life': Come aboard a ship that saves asylum seekers in the Mediterranean
- The stories of the asylum seekers who make desperate crossings on the Mediterranean are legion. But what about those who devote their lives to saving them?
- Updated Clinton calls on FBI to release information about new emails video
- Hillary Clinton is asking the FBI to release any information it has about newly discovered emails that it says may be linked to her private server, reviving a hotly contested political issue in the presidential campaign less than two weeks before election day.
- Syrian rebels launch offensive to break siege in Aleppo
- Syrian rebels launched a broad offensive for Aleppo Friday as the Russian, Syrian, and Iranian foreign ministers vowed to intensify their fight against terrorism in the country.
- Hoping for best and preparing for worst: Inside the American Redoubt movement video
- The American Redoubt is both a movement and an unofficial geographic zone that includes several states. It's a place where Americans who are worried about the future and want less government interference in their lives have formed their own community of like-minded individuals.