Amsterdam "Santa's" helpers in blackface
Sinteklaas arrives with his black-faced helpers. They're loveable rascals, but some see them as slaves. Photo/Lauren Comiteau
Just plain offensive? Or just all in good fun?
We asked for your opinions; there are many responses in Your Dispatches
The holiday season may be a time of brotherly love and all, but in the Low Countries, it's becme the yearly collision of European and post-colonial sensibilities.
It starts with the Dutch tradition of celebrating a white-haired sort of Santa figure called Sinterklaas, and his little blackfaced helpers.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Obama expected to defend Manning decision in final press briefing
- President Barack Obama is expected to defend his decision to shorten the sentence of convicted leaker Chelsea Manning when he holds his final news conference on Wednesday, two days before his second term ends.
- CBC IN MEXICO Attack on prosecutor further erodes Cancun's reputation for safety
- A violent attack in Cancun, Mexico, has further undermined the area's reputation as a peaceful idyll amid the turbulence of Mexico's drug war.
- CBC IN IRAN How Tehran sees Trump: Get-rich guru gets another look as antagonistic U.S. president-elect
- A short drive from Tehran's imposing "Down with the U.S.A." mural, a small bookstore is doing a brisk business selling books by Donald Trump. As Nahlah Ayed reports, some Iranians eager to learn more about the president-elect are having to start with his get-rich books.
- World temperatures hit new high in 2016 for 3rd year in row
- From unprecedented highs in India to ice melt in the Arctic, the heat is creeping closer to a ceiling set for global warming.
- Trump administration will press Canada, Mexico to reopen NAFTA
- The man U.S. president-elect Donald Trump has tapped to reshape the country's trade policy will soon send a letter to Canadian and Mexican officials urging them to reopen NAFTA talks, according to a report.