Asian carp approach Great Lakes
|A fisheries biologist holds a Bighead carp caught in Lake Calumet in Illinois. Photo: Reuters Pictures|
The whopper that won't go away!
Rick MacInnes-Rae welcomes you to the start of the 12th season of Dispatches with this report from Chicago -- about the Asian carp penetratng the American defences and approaching the soft underbelly of Canada's fresh-water shores!
And our thanks to the boys at Indiana Outdoor Adventures for the very animated audio in that piece.
Scientists put chemicals into the Chicago River, trying to fight the advance of the Asian carp.(Getty Images)
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Why the spy trade is such a booming industry: Brian Stewart
- The alleged Russian plot that targeted the U.S. presidential election has raised concerns we’re headed for Cold War levels of spying, but there’s actually plenty of evidence the world soared past that point years ago.
- Updated Trump pulls U.S. out of TPP, will renegotiate NAFTA 'at the appropriate time' video
- The new U.S. president made good on one of his campaign promises Monday, formally withdrawing the United States from the Trans-Pacific Partnership free-trade deal, and signalling his intention to renegotiate NAFTA 'at the appropriate time.'
- Day 1 of Syrian peace talks have rocky start, but show progress from earlier meetings
- Talks between the Syrian government and representatives of rebel factions got off to a rocky start Monday after their first face-to-face meeting in Kazakhstan marked a major shift in the war's dynamics and confirmed Russia's role as regional heavyweight.
- Opinion Let us hope for a Donald Trump disaster
- If Trump’s success transfers from politics to governing, his dark and guttural ways will become entrenched and ubiquitous.
- Analysis Trump takes charge: How NAFTA renegotiations might unfold video
- The soundbite from Donald Trump's presidential inauguration speech could strike fear into a free trader's heart: "We will follow two simple rules: Buy American and Hire American." Following through on his rhetoric will be anything but simple.