Urumqi, China's underground 6 City
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west -- which to them are the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, from the Aug 11 Dispatches program
A Soundtrax experience of a Dispatches listener in Uyghur Xinjiang
Your Dispatches from our listeners around the world
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- U.K. government must consult Parliament before triggering Brexit
- Britain's government must get parliamentary approval before starting the process of leaving the European Union, the Supreme Court ruled Tuesday, potentially delaying Prime Minister Theresa May's plans to trigger negotiations by the end of March.
- Updated European Parliament's trade committee endorses Canada's free trade deal
- A planned EU-Canada free-trade deal moved closer to reality on Tuesday after a key committee advised the European Parliament to give its backing after months of protests and heated debate.
- Trump reiterates false claims about election fraud at Congressional reception
- Even as President Donald Trump starts reaching out to lawmakers and business and union leaders to sell his policies, he's still making false claims about election fraud.
- Syria talks' draft statement may reaffirm ceasefire but little more
- Russia, Turkey and Iran on Tuesday were working on a statement to reaffirm a fragile ceasefire between Syrian warring parties that could agree to establishing a mechanism to observe its compliance and pave the way for a U.N.-led peace settlement.
- Trump fulfils 'Day 1' vows with 3 executive orders in preview of agenda reset video
- Vested with the presidential authority to deliver on some of his "Day 1" promises, Donald Trump signs three executive orders to pull out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, restore a Republican abortion policy, and put a hiring freeze on federal employees.