Urumqi, China's underground 6 City
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west -- which to them are the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, from the Aug 11 Dispatches program
A Soundtrax experience of a Dispatches listener in Uyghur Xinjiang
Your Dispatches from our listeners around the world
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Italy earthquake death toll rises to 247
- The number of people killed in the earthquake that devastated parts of central Italy on Wednesday rose to 247 on Thursday morning, regional and national officials said.
- 'Yes to peace': Colombia, FARC rebels reach historic deal to end 5-decade war
- Colombia's government and its biggest rebel group announced a deal Wednesday evening for ending their country's half-century guerrilla war, one of the world's longest-running armed conflicts. The accord must still be ratified by voters in a plebiscite.
- CBC IN ITALY Rescue workers try to keep the faith as night falls in quake-ravaged Amatrice video
- CBC's Margaret Evans reports from Amatrice in central Italy, one of several towns devastated by Wednesday's earthquake.
- New French burkini bans face legal challenge as tension mounts
- France's highest administrative authority is studying whether local bans on full-body burkini swimsuits are legal, amid growing concerns about police forcing Muslim women to disrobe.
- 12 killed in attack on American University in Afghanistan
- A brazen, hours-long militant attack on the American University of Afghanistan ended early Thursday after at least 12 people were killed and dozens were wounded in the assault on the sprawling campus on Kabul's outskirts, a government spokesman said.