Urumqi, China's underground 6 City
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west -- which to them are the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, from the Aug 11 Dispatches program
A Soundtrax experience of a Dispatches listener in Uyghur Xinjiang
Your Dispatches from our listeners around the world
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Cecil's brother Jericho 'alive and well,' says researcher, after reports lion was killed video audio
- The brother of Cecil, the lion killed in Zimbabwe by an American hunter last month, is not dead, a researcher monitoring the pride told Reuters, contradicting media reports that Jericho the lion had been killed.
- Rio Olympics: Sailing governing body to test waters in Brazil
- The governing body of world sailing says it will start doing its own independent testing for viruses in Rio's Olympic waters after an Associated Press investigation showed a serious health risk to athletes competing in venues rife with raw sewage.
- Shining Path captives freed after 20-plus years
- Peruvian security forces rescued 54 adults and children, mostly members of the Ashaninka indigenous group, being held captive by Shining Path rebels in a remote jungle region. Some of the adults were captured 20 to 30 years ago.
- HitchBOT destroyed in Philadelphia, ending U.S. tour
- A hitchhiking robot that captured the hearts of fans worldwide met its demise in the U.S.
- Photos Indonesians perform Yadnya Kasada ritual on Mount Bromo
- Every year, people gather for the annual festival where offerings of rice, fruit, vegetables, livestock or money are made to Hindu gods at the active volcano to ask for blessings and assure a bountiful harvest.