Urumqi, China's underground 6 City
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west -- which to them are the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, from the Aug 11 Dispatches program
A Soundtrax experience of a Dispatches listener in Uyghur Xinjiang
Your Dispatches from our listeners around the world
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Updated John Nash, mathematician who inspired A Beautiful Mind, killed in car crash
- John Nash, the Nobel Prize winner who inspired the film A Beautiful Mind, has been killed in a car accident along with his wife in New Jersey. He was 86.
- Canadian diplomat's son set to seek bail in Florida double-murder case video
- A Canadian teenager caught up in a double killing in Florida will ask a judge on Wednesday to grant him bail pending a trial that could lead to his life-long imprisonment.
- Roger Federer upset by fan's selfie attempt
- Roger Federer is fuming that a kid got on centre court to snap selfies with him on Sunday at the French Open and is demanding better security. "This should never happen on the Philippe Chatrier court," the 2009 French Open champion said. "I'm not happy about it. Obviously not one second I'm happy about it."
- Anti-Semitism in Malmö reveals flaws in Swedish immigration system audio
- Sweden's tiny Jewish community is facing increasingly blatant anti-Semitism. In Malmö, the Jewish community centre has been under armed guard, a rabbi has been attacked on the street, and few want to talk about it, writes Karin Wells.
- Michael Brelo acquittal sparks protests in Cleveland, numerous arrests
- The streets largely remained calm Sunday morning after police in riot gear made numerous arrests overnight of protesters angered by a patrolman's acquittal in the deaths of two unarmed black suspects in a barrage of police gunfire.