Urumqi, China's underground 6 City
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west -- which to them are the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, from the Aug 11 Dispatches program
A Soundtrax experience of a Dispatches listener in Uyghur Xinjiang
Your Dispatches from our listeners around the world
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Calgary man detained in Turkey accused of plotting failed coup, friend says
- A family friend says a Canadian man is being held in Turkey on accusations he was a leader of the failed July 15 military coup in that country.
- Hillary Clinton debuts 'progressive' running mate Tim Kaine at Florida event
- Hillary Clinton introduced running mate Tim Kaine as "a progressive who likes to get things done," joining the Virginia senator in the crucial battleground state of Florida to help kick off next week's Democratic National Convention.
- Rio 2016: Athletes' passion always overcomes Olympic problems, sports historian says
- With less than two weeks until the opening of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, some are wondering whether organizers can actually pull off the event in the midst of a disastrous economic situation and worries ranging from security to the risk of Zika virus infection.
- CBC in Munich Munich mourns after deadly mall shooting
- As, one by one or in small family groups, the people of Munich come to lay flowers, place notes or light candles, the main sentiment most mourners strained to convey is the hope this terrible attack will not change their city.
- Dual wildfires in California threaten 1,300 homes
- Two forest fires in California continue to expand as officials warn the blazes could threaten more than a thousand homes.