Urumqi, China's underground 6 City
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west -- which to them are the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, from the Aug 11 Dispatches program
A Soundtrax experience of a Dispatches listener in Uyghur Xinjiang
Your Dispatches from our listeners around the world
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- U.S. East Coast deluge blamed for at least 5 deaths video
- Flooding from days of record-setting rain along the heavily populated East Coast has washed out bridges and homes, and forecasters warn that wind gusts could down trees and power lines across the Carolinas and Virginia in the coming hours.
- Pope Francis asserts marriage is forever at start of family meeting
- Pope Francis met with bishops from around the world on family issues Sunday, asserting that marriage is an indissoluble bond between a man and a woman.
- Flash floods kill at least 16 on French Riviera
- Flooding caused by torrential rain along part of the French Riviera has killed least 16 people, officials said Sunday.
- Russian military action in Syria a 'terrible mistake,' British PM Cameron says
- British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Sunday that Vladimir Putin's decision to take military action in Syria to support Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was a "terrible mistake."
- Doctors Without Borders pulls out of Kunduz after apparent U.S. airstrike video
- International medical charity Doctors Without Borders says it has withdrawn from the northern Afghan city of Kunduz after a deadly airstrike destroyed its hospital, killing 22 people.