Urumqi, China's underground 6 City
Musicians among China's Uyghur Muslims have their backs to China and their ears to the west -- which to them are the Islamic nations of Central Asia and beyond. Sameer Farooq met performers who agree they have to sound independent -- but differ on whether pop or traditional music does that best. He went underground in Urumqi to meet a rap collective called 6 City.
Sameer's full documentary, from the Aug 11 Dispatches program
A Soundtrax experience of a Dispatches listener in Uyghur Xinjiang
Your Dispatches from our listeners around the world
Categories: News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Day of mourning in Turkey after blasts targeting police kill 38 video
- Turkey declared a national day of mourning Sunday after twin blasts in Istanbul killed 38 people and wounded 155 others near a soccer stadium — the latest large-scale assault to traumatize a nation confronting an array of security threats.
- New Bombing at Egypt's main Coptic Christian cathedral kills 25
- A bombing at Egypt's main Coptic Christian cathedral killed 25 people and wounded another 35 on Sunday, in one of the deadliest attacks carried out against the religious minority in recent memory.
- New Dozens killed in Nigerian church collapse
- Dozens of people were killed by the collapse of a church in southeastern Nigeria, a photojournalist who visited the town morgue said on Sunday, a day after the incident.
- CBC IN HUNGARY A nasty Hungarian national mood rejects immigrants — and journalists
- The mood in Hungary is decidedly nasty these days, and the populist Prime Minister, Viktor Orban, is accused by many of feeding it with his own sharp anti-foreigner rhetoric in the wake of the 2015 refugee crisis.
- 39 dead as truck rams into vehicles on Kenya road
- A runaway truck carrying volatile gas slammed into other vehicles and burst into flames on a major road in Kenya, killing at least 39 people and injuring 10, officials said early Sunday.