For Haitian women, credit buys confidence
Credit and confidence
Fonkoze client Mimose Clerjeau, 53, in front of her new home (photo/Amber Hildebrandt/CBC)
A year and a half since the earthquake, Haiti still looks like a war zone.
But dig a little deeper and there is pride and progress.
CBC Correspondent Connie Watson found a case in point: the story of some very determined women, and a small bank, just as determined to help them raise themselves out of poverty and uncertainty.
Click here for a photo gallery and feature article on Fonkoze .
Connie's report on the conflicts of land title in Haiti on the June 9 program.
Categories: News Promo, Promo Box
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Suspect arrested, town in mourning after deadly Seattle-area mall shooting
- A suspect in the fatal shooting of five people at a Washington state mall was taken into custody on Saturday, Washington State Patrol spokesman Keith Leary said in a telephone interview.
- Charlotte police release videos of Keith Scott's fatal shooting video
- Charlotte, N.C., police have released body and dashboard camera footage of the shooting of a black man after several days of demonstrations that have coalesced around demands that the public see the videos. The footage did not show whether Keith Lamont Scott was holding a gun.
- Nearly 2M people without running water as fighting escalates in Aleppo
- Syrian government forces captured a rebel-held area on the edge of Aleppo on Saturday, and nearly two million people were without running water following an escalation in fighting over the past few days.
- Video 5 unforgettable moments in U.S. presidential debate history
- From Lloyd Bentson's "You're no Jack Kennedy" to Gerald Ford's misreading of Cold War geopolitics, quips and missteps from U.S. election debates have been going viral long before the age of social media. In the lead-up to the first U.S. presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, we look at five memorable moments from debates past.
- Pippa Middleton's account hacked, thousands of photos stolen
- London police say they are investigating the reported hacking of the iCloud account of Pippa Middleton, younger sister of the Duchess of Cambridge, and the alleged theft of 3,000 photographs.