U.S. Ramadan Road Trip
The Jamia Mosque - Las Vegas (Photo/30Mosques.com)
Thirty days. Thirty mosques.
This is Islam's holy month of Ramadan. A year ago, two young American-born Muslims completed an eye-opening road trip, crossing the U.S. in a quest to worship at 30 mosques, in 30 states, in the 30 days of Ramadan.
The previous year, in a kind of rehearsal, they broke their 30 daily fasts at 30 different mosques in New York City. Both times, they reported their progress on Dispatches.
Here's Aman Ali -- with what he learned about Islam in Oklahoma last August.
This week on Dispatches (Aug 4) -- more of the Ramadan adventures of Aman and his travelling companion Bassam Tariq from their 2010 20,000-kilometre Ramadan roadtrip through 30 American states. This year, by the way, they're doing the other 20 states.
Here's a sampling of tales from their 2010 roadtrip, starting with Aman followed by Bassam Tariq
Here's what happened to Aman and Bassam in the Deep South on the highways of Alabama last year.
Their original Dispatches piece from New York (starts at 17:22 of the Sep 24, 2009 program)
You can find more in their online blog, 30mosques.com
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN BRUSSELS Leave victory should send chill down EU's collective spine
- You could almost feel the hulking edifices that house the European Union’s main institutions in Brussels shrinking in on themselves as the news arrived with a grey dawn that one of their own, even if only reluctantly so, would be leaving after all — divorce papers to be delivered soon.
- Lead levels significantly higher in Flint kids after water switch: report
- Children under the age of six in Flint, Mich., had significantly higher blood-lead levels after the city switched its water source in 2014 to save money, according to a CDC report released Friday.
- Amish community in shock over girl 'gifted' to man
- Police say Daniel Stoltzfus and his wife "gifted" their 14-year-old daughter to a man after he helped them out financially — and apparently sent their nine younger daughters to live with the 51-year-old at his small home near Philadelphia.
- Britons ask Google their questions about Brexit, EU
- The United Kingdom's historic vote to exit the European Union is dominating the conversation online as well as in global headlines.
- Analysis A Brexit vote to settle one party's rift creates multitude of others: Nahlah Ayed video
- With Britain's historic vote to exit the European Union only a few hours old, the country is not only worryingly polarized but also well into the process of a massive political correction — all precipitated by the dicey actions of its prime minister, writes the CBC's Nahlah Ayed from London.