U.S. Ramadan Road Trip
The Jamia Mosque - Las Vegas (Photo/30Mosques.com)
Thirty days. Thirty mosques.
This is Islam's holy month of Ramadan. A year ago, two young American-born Muslims completed an eye-opening road trip, crossing the U.S. in a quest to worship at 30 mosques, in 30 states, in the 30 days of Ramadan.
The previous year, in a kind of rehearsal, they broke their 30 daily fasts at 30 different mosques in New York City. Both times, they reported their progress on Dispatches.
Here's Aman Ali -- with what he learned about Islam in Oklahoma last August.
This week on Dispatches (Aug 4) -- more of the Ramadan adventures of Aman and his travelling companion Bassam Tariq from their 2010 20,000-kilometre Ramadan roadtrip through 30 American states. This year, by the way, they're doing the other 20 states.
Here's a sampling of tales from their 2010 roadtrip, starting with Aman followed by Bassam Tariq
Here's what happened to Aman and Bassam in the Deep South on the highways of Alabama last year.
Their original Dispatches piece from New York (starts at 17:22 of the Sep 24, 2009 program)
You can find more in their online blog, 30mosques.com
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Avalanche destroys Italian hotel, 3 bodies found and over 2 dozen missing video
- More than two dozen people are believed to be buried under snow and debris, and three bodies have been found, after an avalanche plowed into a luxury mountain hotel in central Italy following a series of earthquakes. A couple of men who were outside the hotel were found alive.
- CBC IN CHINA In the Year of the Rooster, China's leadership sizes up Trump
- Leaders in China wonder whether they should take the incoming U.S. president's pronouncements seriously, writes Sasa Petricic.
- 'Sometimes they're poignant moments': inauguration day transfers between presidents video
- Before he takes the oath of office Friday, Donald Trump will sit down with President Barack Obama for a traditional tea-or-coffee meeting and share a carpool ride to the Capitol — quaint rituals for two men with such a long, public rivalry.
- Iran says 30 Tehran firefighters killed as burning highrise collapses video
- A highrise building in Tehran engulfed by a fire collapsed on Thursday, killing at least 30 firefighters and injuring roughly 75 people, state media reported.
- Live Make America Great Again rally with Donald Trump and Mike Pence LIVE video
- President-elect expected to speak in Washington