From Yunnan: golf in the new China
Chinese women are being lured to the links from their villages. Caddying can earn them a year's salary in just one month. Photo/Anthony Germain
China comes out swinging
In China, the game of golf is slowly staking a place alongside designer culture as the latest sign of status -- in an economy teeming with new millionaires seeking places to play.
And when it comes to cost and course maintenance, there's no such thing as over-the-top, thanks to cheap Chinese labour.
But manicured turf and emerald greens aren't just re-shaping the Chinese countryside. They're transforming the lives of thousands of peasants who've left the farm for the fairway jobs.
CBC Radio's China Correspondent, Anthony Germain, finds it's all so new China.
There are downsides to the golf boom...
If you want to see the kind of Chinese golf luxury Anthony's talking about, check out his narrated slideshow here.
Categories: News Promo
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Russia accepts IOC plan to retest Olympic doping samples
- Russia says it will accept an International Olympic Committee plan to retest all drug test samples given by Russian athletes at the 2012 and 2014 Olympics.
- Aleppo exodus grows as thousands more leave
- More than 20,000 civilians left eastern Aleppo today as government forces continued to hammer rebel-held areas of the city.
- CIA says Russia intervened to help Trump win White House, U.S. official says
- The CIA has concluded that Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help president-elect Donald Trump win the White House, and not just to undermine confidence in the U.S. electoral system, a senior U.S. official said on Friday.
- CBC IN HONG KONG Are democracy's days numbered in this former colony?
- The push is on to strengthen Chinese control of Hong Kong. The red flags are flying, the loudspeakers are at full volume.
- Photos The week in pictures: Rage in Rio, jubilation at Standing Rock, fear in Aleppo
- Top images from around the world for the week of Dec. 3-9.