Essays: September 2010 Archives
Sunday September 12, 2010
Dispatches is well known to champion the radio documentary - a craft where expressions like "people are our pictures" and "sounds are our scenes" are prominent. But we also pay deep respect for the oldest of all dispatches. The letter home. The craft of the written word. Short. To the point. A little personal. Sometimes cheeky.
These radio essays (click "read more" below) spell out timely observations, wrapped in the tone of the voice of the writer. Sometimes a little sound punctuates that.
It's a selection of letters home from (mostly) Canadian correspondents abroad, that we've been happy to feature since Dispatches went to air in 2001.Read more »
Categories: Essays, Highlights
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Updated 48 killed, 116 wounded after gunmen attack Pakistani police training centre
- Gunmen stormed a police training centre late Monday in Pakistan's restive Baluchistan province and detonated explosive vests, killing at least 48 police trainees, authorities said.
- 'I don't tweet at 3 a.m. about people who insult me': Obama shades Trump on Kimmel
- President Barack Obama on Monday trolled Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump - known for his prolific use of Twitter to settle scores – making Trump the punch line for jokes on ABC's late-night show Jimmy Kimmel Live.
- New Australian theme park accident kills 4
- Four people were killed in an accident at a theme park on Australia's east coast on Tuesday, officials said.
- 'I stand by what I told Rolling Stone': Woman who alleged rape testifies at trial
- The subject of a Rolling Stone article on a gang rape at the University of Virginia that the magazine retracted after investigators found no evidence the attack occurred, testified on Monday she believed she had told the reporter the truth.
- Texas baby 'born twice' in rare surgery
- A baby is born for the second time at a Texas hospital, 12 weeks after having surgery to remove a tumour.