Highlights: September 2010 Archives
Monday September 13, 2010
We're proud of everything we put on the air, but there are some pieces that really stand out. From time to time, we feature some of them here.
Shovelling the Rain Away
Justice And The Next Life
Zimbabwe: The Exodus Within
The Plight of the Pygmies
The Marshall Islands
Read more »
Categories: Highlights, Specials
Sunday September 12, 2010
Dispatches is well known to champion the radio documentary - a craft where expressions like "people are our pictures" and "sounds are our scenes" are prominent. But we also pay deep respect for the oldest of all dispatches. The letter home. The craft of the written word. Short. To the point. A little personal. Sometimes cheeky.
These radio essays (click "read more" below) spell out timely observations, wrapped in the tone of the voice of the writer. Sometimes a little sound punctuates that.
It's a selection of letters home from (mostly) Canadian correspondents abroad, that we've been happy to feature since Dispatches went to air in 2001.Read more »
Categories: Essays, Highlights
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- U.S. urges new sanctions on North Korea
- The U.S. calls for new sanctions on North Korea and threatens to punish international companies doing banned business with the pariah nation's nuclear and missile programs.
- Congress averts U.S. government shutdown
- With just hours to spare, the U.S. Congress easily approves a short-term spending bill that prevents a partial federal shutdown over the weekend.
- Israel plans 15,000 more settlement homes in East Jerusalem
- Israel intends to build 15,000 new settlement homes in East Jerusalem, according to its Housing Ministry, despite U.S. President Donald Trump's request to "hold back" on settlements as part of a possible new push for Israeli-Palestinian peace.
- Trump signs order to expand drilling in Arctic, Atlantic oceans
- Working to dismantle his predecessor's environmental legacy, President Donald Trump has signed an executive order Friday that could lead to the expansion of drilling in the Arctic and Atlantic oceans.
- Live Trump addresses NRA meeting in Atlanta LIVE video
- U.S. president makes remarks at annual leadership forum