Past Episodes: March 2011 Archives
Wednesday March 30, 2011
March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
A U.S. Predator-B unmanned drone like the one now deployed by the Americans to look across the Canadian border. Photo/Reuters
Powered by fear: The U.S. flies its eyes-in-the-skies drones above the Canadian border.
Justice delayed in the Philippines, where someone's killing the witnesses while a mass murder case stalls.
Mother to another's brothers: A new Canadian film confronts the special perils facing black foster kids in Ukraine.
Risk Radio: The CBC's correspondent in the Democratic Republic of Congo on the risk of reporting war crimes on local radio.
And, crossing Jordan: Civil unrest sends another Arab King scrambling. His daddy was a survivor. Is King Abdullah his father's son? .
Listen to the program now (left click)
Download the podcast right click:save target as
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Wednesday March 23, 2011
People ride bicycles pasrt debris of buildings wrecked by the March 11th earthquake and tsunami in Natori City, Miyagi Prefecture, northeastern Japan. REUTERS/Yegor Trubnikov
Scenes from a tsunami It's already changing Japan forever.
With the weakness of nuclear plants exposed, we'll hear again from our reporter in Chernobyl.
We have a correspondent in Libya with the new rebel recruits.
And another in post-revolution Tunisia, where everyone's complaining. But now someone's listening.
All that plus your letters, Rick's weird March break, and some deeply different Deep Purple.
(Right) A defector from Gadhafi's forces trains young rebel recruits for the mission to overthrow the tyrant. Phot/Bonnie Allen
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday March 17, 2011
March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
Afghanistan's newly graduated police, salute Canadian trainers.
With NATO preparing to give a bigger security role to the Afghan military, the CBC correspondent in Kabul tells us how safe the public's feeling.
The Redemption Of Larry Joe. A South African convict turns to music to make a good finish from a bad start.
The outcaste elite. If talking to one of those call centres has changed the way you think about India, wait'll you hear how Indians feel about them!
And an icy view from Beijing, where a foot in cold water is the poor man's recreation.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday March 10, 2011
March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
Rosa Gomez and Antonio Savone, torture victims in facing cells, reunite years later in Buenos Aires. (Photo/Alison Crawford CBC)
Tension in China. The winds from North Africa blow all the way to China, where they're rolling back the reforms of the Beijing Olympics.
A heartbreaking homecoming in Argentina, as two torture victims reunite in the hopes of convicting their captors.
Our correspondent in Libya on the new politics emerging from the leaderless rebellions of the Middle East.
And, Lobsterman Charley can fight off poison fish by eating them. But there's a man-made threat now fouling Mexican waters that's well beyond him.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
Wednesday March 2, 2011
After ousting their tyranical president Tunisians have re-grouped to demand the old guard step down and allow newly-elected officials to write a democratic constitution. Photo/Megan Williams
Our correspondent in the casbah and the ongoing revolution in Tunisia.
Could it happen in Saudi Arabia? Our correspondent there says it is, kind of. But there's no tractiont.
Gating the vineyard. Greece takes a dramatic step on the Turkish border to end its reputation as the gateway for illegals to Europe.
Trouble in a paradise of corruption. One of Cameroon's best-known musicians goes to jail for mocking its "constipated constitution."
Selling America by the pound. Meet the author who's documented the end of a Detroit auto plant, and its rebirth in Mexico.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Middle East, Past Episodes
- October 2011
- September 2011
- Thu., 29 – September 29, 2011: from, Mumbai, India - Chisinau, Moldova - Loruth, Kenya - Peshawar, Pakistan - Bangladesh
- Thu., 15 – September 15, 2011: from Misrata and Janzur, Libya - Washington, D.C. - Beijing - New York - Kenya/South Sudan border
- Thu., 1 – September 1&4, 2011: from Manila - New York - Quetta, Pakistan - Afghanistan - Grand Forks, North Dakota - Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - Madrid
- August 2011
- July 2011
- Tue., 26 – July 28 & 31: from Kwa Dabekaa, South Africa - Vancouver - Haiti - Zimbabwe - Kolkata, India - New York
- Thu., 21 – July 21 & 24: from Yunnan province, China - Haiti - South Africa - Uljanovsk, Russia - Palermo, Italy
- Thu., 7 – July 7 & 10: from Cape Town, South Africa - Kabul, Afghanistan - Democratic Republic of Congo - Mogadishu, Somalia - Germany
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- Thu., 26 – May 26 & 29: from Hainan Island, China - San Diego - Malaysian Borneo - French Mayotte Island - Dublin
- Wed., 18 – May 19 & 22: from Kampala, Uganda - Israel - Montebaducco, Italy - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Nanjing, China - Robben Island, South Africa
- Wed., 11 – May 12 - 15: from Liberia - Berlin - Nigeria - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Cheonan, South Korea - Beijing
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Wed., 23 – March 24 - 27, 2011 from: Noda and Sendai, Japan - Chernobyl - Tunis - Benghazi, Libya - Berlin
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Thu., 25 – November 25 & 28: from Afghanistan - Bosnia - Ghana - Zimbabwe - Seoul, South Korea - Manila, the Philippines
- Thu., 18 – November 18 & 21: from Kampala, Uganda - the Thai-Burmese border - Hilversum, Netherlands - Beirut, Lebanon - Dakar, Senegal - Chennai, India - Nanoori, Ghana
- Thu., 4 – November 4 & 7, 2010: from Berlin - Zambia - Mae Sot, Thailand - Hainan province, China - Guca, Serbia
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Trump lays out plans for 1st 100 days, vows to sue 'every one' of his female accusers video
- Donald Trump has announced what actions he'll take in his first 100 days in office, should he become the next U.S. president.
- New Hackers used 'internet of things' devices to cause Friday's massive DDoS cyberattack
- Could millions of connected cameras, thermostats and kids' toys bring the internet to its knees? It's beginning to look that way. The hacker group claiming responsibility for Friday's attacks says it has its sights set on a much bigger target.
- What the WikiLeaks emails show, and why they haven't sunk Clinton
- WikiLeaks has brought shades of Cold War subterfuge to the U.S. presidential campaign, publishing documents that in any other election might have tarnished Hillary Clinton. Here’s a sprinkling of what the emails contain.
- CBC IN BEIJING Prayers in the kitchen: Why religious groups fear a loss of freedom in China
- China may officially be a secular state, but a new law that cites national security as an overriding priority is worrying Christian and other religious groups who fear they may become targets for the government, the CBC’s Saša Petricic writes from Beijing.
- Iraqi forces push into town near Mosul after ISIS assault on Kirkuk video
- Iraqi forces have pushed into a town to the southeast of Mosul and are reported to be just five kilometres from the ISIS-held city.