Past Episodes: February 2011 Archives
Wednesday February 23, 2011
A gold merchant at a guerilla mining camp weighs his payment. Photo/ © Narayan Mahon/Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting
Heroin's terrible handmaiden. An old drug hits the streets of South Africa bearing a deadly new additive.
It's Whack-a-Mole in the jungles of French Guiana as police crash illegal toxic gold mines and miners fix them up again.
Rushing to the maternity ward in a handcart: We revisit the issue of maternal health care in the developing world.
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Past Episodes
Wednesday February 16, 2011
February 17 & 20: from Lampedusa, Italy - Kingi, Democratic Republic of Congo - Uganda - Iran via Washington - Urumqi, China
They chased their president into exile, but thousands of Tunisians are fleeing their "revolution" seeking refuge on the tiny Italian island of Lampedusa. Photo/Reuters
The aftershocks of Tunisia's uprising. Why the revolution is driving some people out of the country.
In Uganda, the opposition fears the country's strongman will steal this week's election.
Iran is erupting, but it's all just good sketch material for a couple of expat comics living in Washington.
We're in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where former rebels are getting away with murder.
And, the sound of Uyghur music. A minority in China listens to its past, for clues to its future.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Wednesday February 9, 2011
Presidential politics aside, the army will remain as Egypt's power broker - it's main employer and engine of the economy. Photo/ Reuters Amr Abdallah Dalsh
Egyptians have toppled a president, but new challenges are rising in his place -- challenges that might prove to be just as hard to resolve.
We'll hear from the Canadian who's resurrected long-lost music from Haiti and earned a Grammy nomination for doing it.
Italian factories, Chinese labour. Why some see the mix producing profits for business, but huge losses for both cultures.
And, come strut with The Society of Revellers and Elegant People. Of course they're French. French-African.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Past Episodes
Wednesday February 2, 2011
American preacher Sam Childers set up an orphanage in Southern Sudan, then went hunting for the most fearsome of rebel leaders. Photo/Lionsgate Productions
Egypt's temper. Word from the capital on the cusp of historic change.
Machine Gun Preacher of Sudan; why a reformed biker's waging war on one of Africa's the most feared rebel armies.
Cockeldoodeldoo! The misplaced love of a Mexican for his cockfighting roosters.
Somalia: a free-fire zone where the streetlights don't work; welcome to the world of Mogadishu's Mayor.
The empire steps back; the BBC reduces foreign-language broadcasting to several key countries.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
- October 2011
- September 2011
- Thu., 29 – September 29, 2011: from, Mumbai, India - Chisinau, Moldova - Loruth, Kenya - Peshawar, Pakistan - Bangladesh
- Thu., 15 – September 15, 2011: from Misrata and Janzur, Libya - Washington, D.C. - Beijing - New York - Kenya/South Sudan border
- Thu., 1 – September 1&4, 2011: from Manila - New York - Quetta, Pakistan - Afghanistan - Grand Forks, North Dakota - Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - Madrid
- August 2011
- July 2011
- Tue., 26 – July 28 & 31: from Kwa Dabekaa, South Africa - Vancouver - Haiti - Zimbabwe - Kolkata, India - New York
- Thu., 21 – July 21 & 24: from Yunnan province, China - Haiti - South Africa - Uljanovsk, Russia - Palermo, Italy
- Thu., 7 – July 7 & 10: from Cape Town, South Africa - Kabul, Afghanistan - Democratic Republic of Congo - Mogadishu, Somalia - Germany
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- Thu., 26 – May 26 & 29: from Hainan Island, China - San Diego - Malaysian Borneo - French Mayotte Island - Dublin
- Wed., 18 – May 19 & 22: from Kampala, Uganda - Israel - Montebaducco, Italy - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Nanjing, China - Robben Island, South Africa
- Wed., 11 – May 12 - 15: from Liberia - Berlin - Nigeria - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Cheonan, South Korea - Beijing
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Wed., 23 – March 24 - 27, 2011 from: Noda and Sendai, Japan - Chernobyl - Tunis - Benghazi, Libya - Berlin
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Thu., 25 – November 25 & 28: from Afghanistan - Bosnia - Ghana - Zimbabwe - Seoul, South Korea - Manila, the Philippines
- Thu., 18 – November 18 & 21: from Kampala, Uganda - the Thai-Burmese border - Hilversum, Netherlands - Beirut, Lebanon - Dakar, Senegal - Chennai, India - Nanoori, Ghana
- Thu., 4 – November 4 & 7, 2010: from Berlin - Zambia - Mae Sot, Thailand - Hainan province, China - Guca, Serbia
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Avalanche destroys Italian hotel, 3 bodies found and over 2 dozen missing video
- More than two dozen people are believed to be buried under snow and debris, and three bodies have been found, after an avalanche plowed into a luxury mountain hotel in central Italy following a series of earthquakes. A couple of men who were outside the hotel were found alive.
- CBC IN CHINA In the Year of the Rooster, China's leadership sizes up Trump
- Leaders in China wonder whether they should take the incoming U.S. president's pronouncements seriously, writes Sasa Petricic.
- 'Sometimes they're poignant moments': inauguration day transfers between presidents video
- Before he takes the oath of office Friday, Donald Trump will sit down with President Barack Obama for a traditional tea-or-coffee meeting and share a carpool ride to the Capitol — quaint rituals for two men with such a long, public rivalry.
- Iran says 30 Tehran firefighters killed as burning highrise collapses video
- A highrise building in Tehran engulfed by a fire collapsed on Thursday, killing at least 30 firefighters and injuring roughly 75 people, state media reported.
- Live Make America Great Again rally with Donald Trump and Mike Pence LIVE video
- President-elect expected to speak in Washington