Past Episodes: January 2011 Archives
Thursday January 27, 2011
January 27 & 30: from Yunnan Province, China - Pennsylvania - Jerusalem - Glasgow - Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
Spring City Golf & Lake Resort on the island of Hainan: China is becoming a golf mecca for Asia. Photo/Anthony Germain
China's growing affluence is spoiling a lot of good walks, as golf finds a following among the nouveau riche.
Why the world's leading Nazi hunter says Canada's doing a lousy job.
It's justice delayed for women in the DRC. A look at the plight of the wartime victims of rape in Congo.
Meet the Indiana Jones of lost languages, scouring the globe to save endangered tongues.
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday January 20, 2011
A branch of Fonkoze, Hait's largest microcredit bank (photo/Amber Hildebrandt/CBC)
Fixing coffee or fixing cars: Given the choice, Maryam Darwish reached for a wrench and loosened a social barrier in the United Arab Emirates.
From Haiti, the story of a remarkable bank that provides literacy along with its loans.
Negotiating the Twilight Zone: a Canadian contends with a legal system that's ensnared her husband in China.
And, how to make something out of nothing. The pros and cons of India's can-do work ethic.
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday January 13, 2011
Fidel Castro and wanted plane bomber Luis Posada Carriles, now on trial in Texas. Photo/Jose Goitia - AP
Touchy terror trial: How did the U.S. war on terror miss the man who tried to kill Castro. Just clumsy? Or just convenient?
Anguish in the time of cholera: A medical student's powerful memoir of the cholera wards of Haiti.
Ehtiopian seeds of change: farmers return to old ways and old seeds, because the new ones are failing.
Tales of torture and rendition. But this time, it's India.
Hold your nose! What stinky fish says about the Swedish national identity. And why it faces a ban.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Past Episodes
Thursday January 6, 2011
Brazilian traditional healer Dona Jesefa.
The View from Southern Sudan heading into a referendum that's expected to create a new country.
Modern medicine is discovering there's much to learn from traditional healers in Brazil.
New information about the Anglo-American campaign to expel residents from their island home in the Indian Ocean.
And to Brunei, where a strange snack is making a comeback. It's a gummy paste with a yummy taste, if you can get past the look of it.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
- October 2011
- September 2011
- Thu., 29 – September 29, 2011: from, Mumbai, India - Chisinau, Moldova - Loruth, Kenya - Peshawar, Pakistan - Bangladesh
- Thu., 15 – September 15, 2011: from Misrata and Janzur, Libya - Washington, D.C. - Beijing - New York - Kenya/South Sudan border
- Thu., 1 – September 1&4, 2011: from Manila - New York - Quetta, Pakistan - Afghanistan - Grand Forks, North Dakota - Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - Madrid
- August 2011
- July 2011
- Tue., 26 – July 28 & 31: from Kwa Dabekaa, South Africa - Vancouver - Haiti - Zimbabwe - Kolkata, India - New York
- Thu., 21 – July 21 & 24: from Yunnan province, China - Haiti - South Africa - Uljanovsk, Russia - Palermo, Italy
- Thu., 7 – July 7 & 10: from Cape Town, South Africa - Kabul, Afghanistan - Democratic Republic of Congo - Mogadishu, Somalia - Germany
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- Thu., 26 – May 26 & 29: from Hainan Island, China - San Diego - Malaysian Borneo - French Mayotte Island - Dublin
- Wed., 18 – May 19 & 22: from Kampala, Uganda - Israel - Montebaducco, Italy - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Nanjing, China - Robben Island, South Africa
- Wed., 11 – May 12 - 15: from Liberia - Berlin - Nigeria - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Cheonan, South Korea - Beijing
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Wed., 23 – March 24 - 27, 2011 from: Noda and Sendai, Japan - Chernobyl - Tunis - Benghazi, Libya - Berlin
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Thu., 25 – November 25 & 28: from Afghanistan - Bosnia - Ghana - Zimbabwe - Seoul, South Korea - Manila, the Philippines
- Thu., 18 – November 18 & 21: from Kampala, Uganda - the Thai-Burmese border - Hilversum, Netherlands - Beirut, Lebanon - Dakar, Senegal - Chennai, India - Nanoori, Ghana
- Thu., 4 – November 4 & 7, 2010: from Berlin - Zambia - Mae Sot, Thailand - Hainan province, China - Guca, Serbia
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Evidence Russian missile shot down Flight MH17 unlikely to bring closure to victims' families video
- Evidence released Wednesday showing Malaysian Air Flight MH17 was brought down by a Russian missile answers some questions for the Toronto-area family of a passenger on the flight, but they don’t expect it to bring any resolution.
- Refugee standing in 'shooting stance' killed by California officer video
- The fatal police shooting of a Ugandan refugee who drew something from his pocket and extended his hands in a "shooting stance" happened about a minute after officers in a San Diego suburb arrived at the scene where a mentally unstable man was reportedly walking in traffic.
- Families of 9/11 victims can sue Saudi Arabia after Obama's veto overturned
- In a resounding rebuke, Democrats joined with Republicans Wednesday to hand Barack Obama the first veto override of his presidency, voting overwhelmingly to allow families of Sept. 11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia in U.S. courts for its alleged backing of the attackers.
- Pepe the Frog joins swastika and Klan hood in Anti-Defamation League's hate symbol database
- A popular internet meme has joined the ranks of the swastika and the burning cross in the Anti-Defamation League's hate symbol database. But how did a cartoon frog with humble origins as a lovable indie comic book character become an emblem of white supremacy?
- Almost 100 children killed in Aleppo since Friday, UNICEF says video
- UNICEF says almost 100 children have been killed, and 223 have been injured amid intense fighting that has gripped the Syrian city of Aleppo since Friday.