Middle East: February 2012 Archives
Wednesday February 29, 2012
Jean Rody Joseph gets painted with acrylic house paint before going out for carnival in Jacmel, Haiti. The lanse kòd, or the rope-throwers, are the biggest, baddest, and the most menacing on the streets during Carnival. (Photo: Ben Depp)
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)Read more »
Categories: Americas, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Wednesday February 8, 2012
CBC Correspondent Derek Stoffel talks with a group of Syrian refugees living at a camp at the Turkey/Syria border. (Photo: CBC)
Egyptians may be divided over military rule but the army's not going anywhere soon. We'll hear why its influence is too deep to deny.
In Kazahkstan, nobody grows very old in the villages near a former nuclear test site now being considered for commercial farming.
CBC News enters the Syrian refugee camps in Turkey, where exiles exist on a diet of defiance and division.
In India, cheap handmade cigarettes may have health risks but they're going global anyway.
And, the life of Brian: how a guy from Brooklyn found his muse in the music of Africa.
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)
Read more »
Categories: Africa, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
- June 2012
- Wed., 20 – June 21 & 24: the last Dispatches
- May 2012
- April 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Wed., 23 – March 24 - 27, 2011 from: Noda and Sendai, Japan - Chernobyl - Tunis - Benghazi, Libya - Berlin
- Tue., 22 – The screwy Saudi security syndrome
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Mon., 14 – Addis Ababa...renting the news of revolution
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New How Europe's heroin capital solved its overdose crisis
- A decade ago, Portugal had a heroin problem. It decided to deal with it by decriminalizing drug use and focusing on harm reduction and treatment. A CBC News special report looks at what lessons the country’s experiment holds for Canada’s own opioid crisis.
- Trump signals Mexico wall funding may wait several months for more pressing concerns video
- U.S. President Donald Trump indicated an openness on Monday to delaying his push to secure funds for his promised border wall with Mexico, potentially eliminating a sticking point as lawmakers worked to avoid a looming shutdown of the federal government.
- Aviation officer gives his version of United flight passenger removal video
- The physician dragged off a United Airlines flight in Chicago this month was verbally and physically abusive, and flailing his arms before he lost his balance and struck his mouth on an armrest, according to the aviation officer who pulled the man out of his seat.
- New At least 23 killed as Turkey hits Kurdish areas in Iraq, northeast Syria
- Turkish warplanes carried out airstrikes today against suspected Kurdish rebel positions in northern Iraq and northeastern Syria, the military said, in a bid to prevent militants from smuggling fighters and weapons into Turkey.
- Taliban kills 8 policemen in northern Afghanistan
- An Afghan official says the Taliban overran three security checkpoints and killed eight policemen in northern Takhar province.