Middle East: February 2012 Archives
Wednesday February 29, 2012
Jean Rody Joseph gets painted with acrylic house paint before going out for carnival in Jacmel, Haiti. The lanse kòd, or the rope-throwers, are the biggest, baddest, and the most menacing on the streets during Carnival. (Photo: Ben Depp)
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)Read more »
Categories: Americas, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Wednesday February 8, 2012
CBC Correspondent Derek Stoffel talks with a group of Syrian refugees living at a camp at the Turkey/Syria border. (Photo: CBC)
Egyptians may be divided over military rule but the army's not going anywhere soon. We'll hear why its influence is too deep to deny.
In Kazahkstan, nobody grows very old in the villages near a former nuclear test site now being considered for commercial farming.
CBC News enters the Syrian refugee camps in Turkey, where exiles exist on a diet of defiance and division.
In India, cheap handmade cigarettes may have health risks but they're going global anyway.
And, the life of Brian: how a guy from Brooklyn found his muse in the music of Africa.
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)
Read more »
Categories: Africa, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
- June 2012
- Wed., 20 – June 21 & 24: the last Dispatches
- May 2012
- April 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Wed., 23 – March 24 - 27, 2011 from: Noda and Sendai, Japan - Chernobyl - Tunis - Benghazi, Libya - Berlin
- Tue., 22 – The screwy Saudi security syndrome
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Mon., 14 – Addis Ababa...renting the news of revolution
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Obama talks about Cuba thaw, Keystone XL in year-end remarks
- President Barack Obama praised the reopening of diplomatic relations with Cuba on Friday but said he doesn't expect it to bring overnight change on the island, a quick end to the U.S. economic embargo or the likelihood that he will soon visit the communist nation.
- Australian woman arrested in killing of 8 children video
- An Australian woman was arrested in the killings of eight children, seven of whom are believed to be her own, police said Saturday. The children were found dead inside the woman's home.
- Apple on defence after BBC exposé of working conditions in its factories video
- Apple is in the spotlight again over working conditions for the people who make its products, following a BBC investigation that alleges poor treatment of workers in Chinese factories.
- Sony defends cancelling The Interview release after Obama says studio 'made a mistake' video
- Sony Pictures is defending the decision to cancel the Christmas Day release of The Interview, saying they had no other options when theatres said they were cancelling screenings of the comedy.
- U.S. Supreme Court won't stop gay marriages in Florida
- The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday refused to block gay marriages in Florida, the latest of about three dozen states allowing same-sex weddings.