Italy's crisis endangers its guilds
Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti has introduced measures to crack open Italy's professional guilds, but has met with resistance. (Photo: Vincent Kessler/Reuters)
Afflicting the comfortable to bost productivity in Italy
Italy wants to shore up its shaky finances and doesn't seem to mind who it offends.
Prime Minister Mario Monti's already introduced austerity measures, and now plans to re-set the country's economy, starting at the top.
Mario Monti has the professional class in his sights. In particular, the many guilds and associations that keep it comfortable and exclusive, but sap productivity, by keeping new blood out.
Not surprisingly, he's getting some resistance. But Dispatches contributor Megan Williams found his efforts are resonating with a lot of people.
Categories: Europe, News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- South Korea president Park Geun-hye is impeached
- South Korean lawmakers on Friday voted to impeach President Park Geun-hye, a stunning and swift fall for the country's first female leader amid protests that drew millions into the streets in united fury.
- CBC IN MEXICO Mexicans fear they'll pay for Trump's wall 'one way or another'
- Trump's NAFTA threats are already causing pain in Mexico's trade-dependent border communities, with a low peso and unstable factory jobs.
- Leung Chun-ying, Hong Kong's top executive, won't serve another term
- Hong Kong's divisive Beijing-backed leader, Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying, said Friday he won't run again for the job after his current term ends next year, citing unspecified family reasons.
- Researchers sound alarm over millions of tonnes of plastic dumped into oceans video
- Members of an international organization based in Denmark that aims to raise awareness about the consequences of the increasing plastic pollution of the oceans, are set to collect data and measure levels of micro-plastics floating in the water.
- TSX, New York stock markets rally as crude prices top $50 US
- Major stock markets in New York climbed to set new records today amid a broad rally from banks, materials and technology companies.