March 8 & 11, 2012 - from San Pedro, Mexico - Russia - Rome - China - Cape Town, South Africa
Mauricio Fernandez Garza, mayor of the municipality of San Pedro, attends a ceremony to evaluate their police force in March, 2010. Fernandez Garza practises what some call vigilante justice, which he says keeps his city safe. (Photo: REUTERS/Tomas Bravo)
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)
CBC correspondent Keith Boag has been reporting all week on drug-related violence in Mexico. (Photo: CBC)
Masha Drokova, an activist with the pro-Putin youth group, Nashi, meets Russian President Vladimir Putin. In the documentary Putin's Kiss, we watch Masha's disillusionment with Nashi and Putin. (Photo: Kino Lorber)
Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti has introduced measures to crack open Italy's professional guilds, but has met with resistance. (Photo: Vincent Kessler/Reuters)
The cover of Striking it Rich: Diary of China's Poorest Guy, by Lao Kang, a self-help-style bestseller in China.
An excerpt from a Du Lala's Promotion Diary, an example of "workplace fiction"
Lionel is a "Beach Buddy" in Muizenberg, a suburb of Cape Town, South Africa. They're licensed versions of the ubiquitous "car guards", who are paid to watch over parked cars and guard against vandalism and theft. (Photo: Anders Kelto)
We bring you the world!
Categories: Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Past Episodes
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Ukraine riots outside parliament kill 1, injure 122
- As lawmakers took up a measure to give greater powers to separatists in eastern Ukraine, nationalist protesters clashed with police outside parliament on Monday, and the Interior Ministry said one officer was killed in a grenade blast and more than 100 were wounded.
- Obama visits Alaska for tour focused on climate change
- Barack Obama arrived in Alaska on Monday, where he is set to become the first sitting U.S. president to visit the Arctic Circle as part of an effort to thrust climate change to the forefront of the global agenda.
- Missing California hiker survived 9 days with broken leg
- A 62-year-old hiker missing for nine days in California's rugged Sierra Nevada with a broken leg endured freezing nighttime temperatures and crawled two days for water before getting the attention of rescuers with a whistle she carried for moments of crisis, authorities said Monday.
- Dad cleaning handgun shoots daughter, 9, in stomach
- Vermont State Police say a man cleaning his handgun at a campsite accidentally shot his nine-year-old daughter in the stomach, sending her to the intensive care unit.
- Photos Notting Hill Carnival: U.K. Caribbean street party draws 1million
- Billed as Britain’s biggest street party, the Notting Hill Carnival 2015 saw more than a million revellers pack west London streets.