Europe: January 2012 Archives
Thursday January 12, 2012
From our correspondents around the world!
In Gaza, Palestinians have no problem keeping past heroes alive. Not so for their bretheren in East Jerusalem, where Israel is in control and is trying to re-write Palestinian text books. Photo/GettyImages
Israel rewrites the history books. No Arafat. No Intifada. Palestinians say, no more.
How jazz found a foothold in India. A story of rhythm and racism.
We revisit Congo, where former rebels are getting away with murder.
Did an Irishman save Hitler's life? Disturbing documents surface in Dublin.
And a view from Beijing, where a foot in cold water is the poor man's recreation.
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)
Categories: Africa, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
- June 2012
- Wed., 20 – June 21 & 24: the last Dispatches
- May 2012
- Wed., 30 – May 31 & June 3: from Kabul, Afghanistan - Lima, Peru - Florence, Italy - Hong Kong - Mumbai, India
- Thu., 10 – May 10 & 13, 2012: from Damascus, Syria - Munich, Germany - Sao Paolo, Brazil - Alabama - Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- Wed., 2 – May 3 & 6, 2012: from China - Toulouse, France - India - Port-au-Prince, Haiti - Amsterdam
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Wed., 29 – Guca, Serbia: brass bands and nationalism
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- Thu., 26 – May 26 & 29: from Hainan Island, China - San Diego - Malaysian Borneo - French Mayotte Island - Dublin
- Wed., 18 – May 19 & 22: from Kampala, Uganda - Israel - Montebaducco, Italy - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Nanjing, China - Robben Island, South Africa
- Wed., 11 – May 12 - 15: from Liberia - Berlin - Nigeria - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Cheonan, South Korea - Beijing
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – London...the tale of MI-5 from here
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- New Syria, ISIS must be held to account for chemical weapons use, says Dion
- The federal government wants officials in the Syrian regime who orchestrated a series of chemical weapons attacks on their own people to be prosecuted under international law.
- Mexico contradicts Donald Trump on paying for border wall
- Donald Trump travelled to Mexico on Wednesday to meet President Enrique Pena Nieto, saying the subject of a border wall to control illegal immigration came up, but the two "didn't discuss" who would pay for it. Pena Nieto later contradicted that claim.
- No confidence? Spain's PM faces uphill battle to govern
- Spain's prime minister lost a confidence vote Wednesday. If he loses another on Friday, a third election in the space of a year could be in the cards — on Christmas Day.
- 'Hopefully our roofs stay on': Tropical storms bears down on Florida, Hawaii
- Forecasters downgraded Hurricane Madeline to a tropical storm as it veered past Hawaii's Big Island. Florida, meanwhile, has declared emergencies in 51 counties as tropical storm Hermine gains strength as it approaches.
- At last 5 killed after planes crash mid-air over Alaska
- All those on board two small planes died in a midair collision Wednesday in western Alaska, state troopers said.