Europe: December 2011 Archives
Wednesday December 14, 2011
A view of the construction underway at the fabled Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro. Locals are upset that the stadium is being "upgraded" for the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics, saying it is losing its character and becoming more elitist.
In a stadium in Brazil reside the memories of a nation. But in trying to make it better are they about to make it worse?
Congo elects a new president. Or is it two? That's not supposed to happen.
Inside a Mafia State. Russia's efforts to intimidate journalists, one break-in at a time.
And, a swing through a city on a swamp. Never mind New Orleans. Mexico City's sinkin', man.
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)
Categories: Africa, Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Wednesday December 7, 2011
December 8 & 11, 2011: from Santiago - Benghazi, Libya - Zimbabwe - Somalia - Boston - Independencia, Peru
A student shouts slogans against the riot police during a protest in November 2011 against the government, to demand changes in the public state education system in Valparaiso city (Photo: Reuters: Elisio Fernandez)
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)
Categories: Africa, Americas, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday December 1, 2011
From our correspondents around the world...
Volunteers install an old pop bottle filled with water and bleach through the metal roof of house in Manila. The savings will put meals on the table of its poor occupants. Photo/Simone Orendain.
A plastic pop bottle is lighting the lives of the poor in the Philippines. You'll wonder why no one thought of it sooner.
Tapping the illiterate vote. How Egyptian politicians are reaching those who can't read.
Blackface characters in a Dutch Christmas tradition set some on edge while others say the country's gone post-racial. See what you think.
Tweets from the Taliban. How the enemy's using social media to take the progaganda war to NATO.
An explorer's story. Why Sir Christopher Ondaatje sold his soul.
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)Read more »
Categories: Americas, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
- June 2012
- Wed., 20 – June 21 & 24: the last Dispatches
- May 2012
- Wed., 30 – May 31 & June 3: from Kabul, Afghanistan - Lima, Peru - Florence, Italy - Hong Kong - Mumbai, India
- Thu., 10 – May 10 & 13, 2012: from Damascus, Syria - Munich, Germany - Sao Paolo, Brazil - Alabama - Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- Wed., 2 – May 3 & 6, 2012: from China - Toulouse, France - India - Port-au-Prince, Haiti - Amsterdam
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Wed., 29 – Guca, Serbia: brass bands and nationalism
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- Thu., 26 – May 26 & 29: from Hainan Island, China - San Diego - Malaysian Borneo - French Mayotte Island - Dublin
- Wed., 18 – May 19 & 22: from Kampala, Uganda - Israel - Montebaducco, Italy - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Nanjing, China - Robben Island, South Africa
- Wed., 11 – May 12 - 15: from Liberia - Berlin - Nigeria - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Cheonan, South Korea - Beijing
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – London...the tale of MI-5 from here
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- WHO rejects call by scientists to postpone Rio Olympics due to Zika virus outbreak
- A University of Ottawa professor says the WHO's position to not postpone or move the Games despite a letter from more than 100 scientists raising concerns about spreading the Zika virus is "absolutely fanciful."
- Migrants cleared from Idomeni camp take to fields to avoid state-run facilities
- Some aid groups are expressing concern that migrants and refugees have been moved to several sites with "sub-standard conditions" after being evacuated from a makeshift camp near Greece's border town of Idomeni.
- Gorilla shot dead after boy, 3, falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo
- A special zoo response team at the Cincinnati Zoo shot and killed a 17-year-old gorilla Saturday that grabbed and dragged a 3-year-old boy who fell into the gorilla exhibit moat, the zoo's director said.
- Paris lightning strike during child's party leaves 11 injured
- Eight children and three adults were struck by lightning Saturday in a Paris park after a sudden spring storm sent a bolt crashing down upon a children's birthday party.
- Texas flooding kills at least 4, leaves 2 missing
- Torrential rains leave flooding and swollen rivers behind in Texas and Kansas, while Tropical Storm Bonnie is expected to make landfall in South Carolina on Sunday.