Guca, Serbia: brass bands and nationalism
|Trubaci blast their horns while onlookers take it all in, in Guca, Serbia (photo/Lisa Hale)|
The View from Here: Guca, Serbia
Brass bands and the Balkans have a long history -- and Guca, Serbia hosts a global gathering of horn players every summer. Pre-competition performances are already underway at this year's Guca Madness
Canadian journalist Lisa Hale was there last year and found good times and good beer were top of the agenda -- though some folks were keen to hijack it when it came time to strike up the band.
Nothing but mammals
CBC correspondent, Connie Watson had a dodgy musical voyage of discovery herself, in the Balkans. After hearing her tale you may never think of the Discovery Channel in quite the same way again.
Categories: Europe, News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Israel troops briefly raid Gaza as offensive rages video
- Ignoring international appeals for a ceasefire, Israel widens its range of Gaza bombing targets with suspected Hamas ties and announces it will hit northern Gaza "with great force" to prevent Hamas rocket attacks from there.
- Derek Stoffel: Amid Israeli offensive, Gaza life goes on video
- Israeli strikes in Gaza have led to sleepless nights and anxious Palestinian children, CBC's Derek Stoffel reports from a refugee camp in Gaza City.
- Su Bin, Chinese man accused of hacking, in custody in Canada: FBI video
- U.S. authorities have charged a Chinese businessman with hacking into the computer systems of U.S. companies with large defense contracts, including Boeing, to steal data on military projects, including some of its latest fighter jets, officials said Friday.
- Photos Supermoon lights up sky during close passage to Earth
- The full moon on Saturday appeared to be unusually big. In fact, it was what's known as a supermoon.
- Infographic Deception detection: how to tell if someone is lying
- During high-stake police interrogations and on seemingly meaningless online dating profiles, some people find themselves lying. So, how can you tell if someone isn't telling you the truth?