Guca, Serbia: brass bands and nationalism
|Trubaci blast their horns while onlookers take it all in, in Guca, Serbia (photo/Lisa Hale)|
The View from Here: Guca, Serbia
Brass bands and the Balkans have a long history -- and Guca, Serbia hosts a global gathering of horn players every summer. Pre-competition performances are already underway at this year's Guca Madness
Canadian journalist Lisa Hale was there last year and found good times and good beer were top of the agenda -- though some folks were keen to hijack it when it came time to strike up the band.
Nothing but mammals
CBC correspondent, Connie Watson had a dodgy musical voyage of discovery herself, in the Balkans. After hearing her tale you may never think of the Discovery Channel in quite the same way again.
Categories: Europe, News Promo, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- U.S., U.K. begin electronics ban on flights from several Muslim-majority countries
- New travel restrictions on direct flights to Britain and the United States from several Muslim-majority countries take effect today, meaning electronic devices larger than a cellphone must be placed in checked baggage.
- Analysis Health-care havoc: Trump's 1st legislative test a 'big loser' that puts his agenda on shaky ground video
- Donald Trump’s first major legislative push to eliminate and replace the current health-care legislation ran off road Friday, striking a blow his young presidency’s momentum and denting his image as a master negotiator.
- U.K. attacker had been in Saudi Arabia, embassy confirms video
- The man who killed four people outside Britain's Parliament was in Saudi Arabia three times and taught English there, the Middle Eastern country's embassy said.
- Jailed Philippine senator says she 'won't be quiet' about President Duterte
- Jailed Philippine Senator Leila de Lima says she's a political prisoner. President Rodrigo Duterte says she's a drug trafficker. CBC's Adrienne Arsenault travelled to Manila for an exclusive jailhouse interview with de Lima.
- Armed burglary at Bellagio in Las Vegas sends panic through casino
- The Bellagio Resort and Casino on the Las Vegas Strip was put on lockdown early on Saturday after an armed burglary of a high-end jewelry store sent panicked guests and gamblers running for the exits, local media reported and police said.