Europe: February 2011 Archives
Wednesday February 16, 2011
February 17 & 20: from Lampedusa, Italy - Kingi, Democratic Republic of Congo - Uganda - Iran via Washington - Urumqi, China
They chased their president into exile, but thousands of Tunisians are fleeing their "revolution" seeking refuge on the tiny Italian island of Lampedusa. Photo/Reuters
The aftershocks of Tunisia's uprising. Why the revolution is driving some people out of the country.
In Uganda, the opposition fears the country's strongman will steal this week's election.
Iran is erupting, but it's all just good sketch material for a couple of expat comics living in Washington.
We're in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where former rebels are getting away with murder.
And, the sound of Uyghur music. A minority in China listens to its past, for clues to its future.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Wednesday February 2, 2011
American preacher Sam Childers set up an orphanage in Southern Sudan, then went hunting for the most fearsome of rebel leaders. Photo/Lionsgate Productions
Egypt's temper. Word from the capital on the cusp of historic change.
Machine Gun Preacher of Sudan; why a reformed biker's waging war on one of Africa's the most feared rebel armies.
Cockeldoodeldoo! The misplaced love of a Mexican for his cockfighting roosters.
Somalia: a free-fire zone where the streetlights don't work; welcome to the world of Mogadishu's Mayor.
The empire steps back; the BBC reduces foreign-language broadcasting to several key countries.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Wed., 29 – Guca, Serbia: brass bands and nationalism
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- Thu., 26 – May 26 & 29: from Hainan Island, China - San Diego - Malaysian Borneo - French Mayotte Island - Dublin
- Wed., 18 – May 19 & 22: from Kampala, Uganda - Israel - Montebaducco, Italy - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Nanjing, China - Robben Island, South Africa
- Wed., 11 – May 12 - 15: from Liberia - Berlin - Nigeria - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Cheonan, South Korea - Beijing
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – London...the tale of MI-5 from here
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Ugly questions loom after look at U.S. Justice Department's police racism files: Neil Macdonald video
- Anyone tempted to dismiss the angry, in-your-face tactics of the Black Lives Matter movement should spend a little time browsing the special litigation section of the U.S. Department of Justice, Neil MacDonald writes.
- Mudslide kills at least 7 on Colombian highway
- A mudslide killed at least seven people and buried more than 10 others along a mountainous stretch of Colombia's main highway between Bogota and Medellin, authorities said on Wednesday.
- 'Apocalyptic' aftershocks of back-to-back earthquakes level buildings in Italy
- A pair of "apocalyptic" aftershocks shook central Italy on Wednesday, crumbling buildings, knocking out power and sending panicked residents into the rain-drenched streets just two months after a strong earthquake in the region killed nearly 300 people.
- Refugee death toll in Mediterranean Sea this year deadliest ever, says UN video audio
- The United Nations refugee agency said Wednesday that at least 3,800 refugees have died in the Mediterranean Sea so far this year in an attempt to reach Europe, making 2016 the deadliest year on record.
- CBC IN FRANCE 'We don't know these people': Anxiety and empathy await asylum seekers leaving Calais camp
- As migrants are relocated from the squalid camp at Calais, residents of communities set to receive them have both apprehension and empathy for their new neighbours, the CBC’s Michelle Gagnon writes from northeastern France.