Europe: January 2011 Archives
Thursday January 27, 2011
January 27 & 30: from Yunnan Province, China - Pennsylvania - Jerusalem - Glasgow - Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
Spring City Golf & Lake Resort on the island of Hainan: China is becoming a golf mecca for Asia. Photo/Anthony Germain
China's growing affluence is spoiling a lot of good walks, as golf finds a following among the nouveau riche.
Why the world's leading Nazi hunter says Canada's doing a lousy job.
It's justice delayed for women in the DRC. A look at the plight of the wartime victims of rape in Congo.
Meet the Indiana Jones of lost languages, scouring the globe to save endangered tongues.
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Tuesday January 11, 2011
Spain's state broadcaster, TVE, has announced it will no longer broadcast live bullfights. The broadcaster's new style guide states that "TVE will not show bullfights because of the time they take place, which mostly coincides with the time of day when there is special protection for children."
In other words, children should not be exposed to the violence they'd see in a bullfight.
The move has provoked outrage among politicians, fans, and commentators who argue bullfighting is part of Spain's national culture.Read more »
Categories: Europe, The View from Here
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Wed., 29 – Guca, Serbia: brass bands and nationalism
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- Thu., 26 – May 26 & 29: from Hainan Island, China - San Diego - Malaysian Borneo - French Mayotte Island - Dublin
- Wed., 18 – May 19 & 22: from Kampala, Uganda - Israel - Montebaducco, Italy - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Nanjing, China - Robben Island, South Africa
- Wed., 11 – May 12 - 15: from Liberia - Berlin - Nigeria - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Cheonan, South Korea - Beijing
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – London...the tale of MI-5 from here
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Hong Kong protesters poised to occupy buildings if leader won't budge video
- Hong Kong's leader is willing to let pro-democracy demonstrations blocking large areas of the city go on for weeks if necessary, a source close to him said, while defiant protesters vowed they would escalate their occupation.
- Special Report Ebola outbreak sees MSF scale up in Liberia as patients keep coming video
- The UN mission dealing with the Ebola response has set bold goals to try and contain the outbreak, but in Liberia's capital, medical providers like Doctors Without Borders are working flat out just to keep up.
- Michael Dunn convicted of 1st-degree murder in Florida loud music shooting
- A jury convicted a Florida man on Wednesday of first-degree murder in his retrial for killing a teenager after an argument over loud music.
- Analysis Washington Redskins controversy: 3 things you need to know video
- Here are three things to know about the Washington Redskins controversy, and how it may affect the CFL’s Edmonton Eskimos' ability to continue with their moniker.
- Walruses forced ashore en masse as sea ice melts video
- Pacific walrus that can't find sea ice for resting in Arctic waters are coming ashore in record numbers on a beach in northwest Alaska.