Europe: January 2011 Archives
Thursday January 27, 2011
January 27 & 30: from Yunnan Province, China - Pennsylvania - Jerusalem - Glasgow - Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
Spring City Golf & Lake Resort on the island of Hainan: China is becoming a golf mecca for Asia. Photo/Anthony Germain
China's growing affluence is spoiling a lot of good walks, as golf finds a following among the nouveau riche.
Why the world's leading Nazi hunter says Canada's doing a lousy job.
It's justice delayed for women in the DRC. A look at the plight of the wartime victims of rape in Congo.
Meet the Indiana Jones of lost languages, scouring the globe to save endangered tongues.
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Tuesday January 11, 2011
Spain's state broadcaster, TVE, has announced it will no longer broadcast live bullfights. The broadcaster's new style guide states that "TVE will not show bullfights because of the time they take place, which mostly coincides with the time of day when there is special protection for children."
In other words, children should not be exposed to the violence they'd see in a bullfight.
The move has provoked outrage among politicians, fans, and commentators who argue bullfighting is part of Spain's national culture.Read more »
Categories: Europe, The View from Here
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Wed., 29 – Guca, Serbia: brass bands and nationalism
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- Thu., 26 – May 26 & 29: from Hainan Island, China - San Diego - Malaysian Borneo - French Mayotte Island - Dublin
- Wed., 18 – May 19 & 22: from Kampala, Uganda - Israel - Montebaducco, Italy - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Nanjing, China - Robben Island, South Africa
- Wed., 11 – May 12 - 15: from Liberia - Berlin - Nigeria - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Cheonan, South Korea - Beijing
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – London...the tale of MI-5 from here
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Almost 100 children killed in Aleppo since Friday, UNICEF says video
- UNICEF says almost 100 children have been killed, and 223 have been injured amid intense fighting that has gripped the Syrian city of Aleppo since Friday.
- Shooting injures 3 at elementary school in South Carolina
- A teenager opened fire at a South Carolina elementary school Wednesday, wounding two students and a teacher before being taken into custody, authorities said.
- Analysis #TrumpWon the debate? Legitimate polls show otherwise
- Donald Trump has claimed victory in Monday's presidential debate with Hillary Clinton, using online "polls" as his evidence. The only problem is those polls are bunk, and the legitimate polls show Clinton won comfortably.
- In California's farm belt, 'pesticide drift' has residents worried about their health
- In California's farm belt, "pesticide drift" means danger is in the wind. Residents want new laws to protect half a million children who go to school near fields sprayed with pesticides
- Pepe the Frog joins swastika and Klan hood in Anti-Defamation League's hate symbol database
- A popular internet meme has joined the ranks of the swastika and the burning cross in the Anti-Defamation League's hate symbol database. But how did a cartoon frog with humble origins as a lovable indie comic book character become an emblem of white supremacy?