Europe: January 2011 Archives
Thursday January 27, 2011
January 27 & 30: from Yunnan Province, China - Pennsylvania - Jerusalem - Glasgow - Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
Spring City Golf & Lake Resort on the island of Hainan: China is becoming a golf mecca for Asia. Photo/Anthony Germain
China's growing affluence is spoiling a lot of good walks, as golf finds a following among the nouveau riche.
Why the world's leading Nazi hunter says Canada's doing a lousy job.
It's justice delayed for women in the DRC. A look at the plight of the wartime victims of rape in Congo.
Meet the Indiana Jones of lost languages, scouring the globe to save endangered tongues.
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Tuesday January 11, 2011
Spain's state broadcaster, TVE, has announced it will no longer broadcast live bullfights. The broadcaster's new style guide states that "TVE will not show bullfights because of the time they take place, which mostly coincides with the time of day when there is special protection for children."
In other words, children should not be exposed to the violence they'd see in a bullfight.
The move has provoked outrage among politicians, fans, and commentators who argue bullfighting is part of Spain's national culture.Read more »
Categories: Europe, The View from Here
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Wed., 29 – Guca, Serbia: brass bands and nationalism
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- Thu., 26 – May 26 & 29: from Hainan Island, China - San Diego - Malaysian Borneo - French Mayotte Island - Dublin
- Wed., 18 – May 19 & 22: from Kampala, Uganda - Israel - Montebaducco, Italy - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Nanjing, China - Robben Island, South Africa
- Wed., 11 – May 12 - 15: from Liberia - Berlin - Nigeria - Sarajevo, Bosnia - Cheonan, South Korea - Beijing
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – London...the tale of MI-5 from here
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Health-care havoc: Trump's 1st legislative test a 'big loser' that puts his agenda on shaky ground video
- Donald Trump’s first major legislative push to eliminate and replace the current health-care legislation ran off road Friday, striking a blow his young presidency’s momentum and denting his image as a master negotiator.
- Jailed Philippine senator says she 'won't be quiet' about President Duterte
- Jailed Philippine Senator Leila de Lima says she's a political prisoner. President Rodrigo Duterte says she's a drug trafficker. CBC's Adrienne Arsenault travelled to Manila for an exclusive jailhouse interview with de Lima.
- U.S. coalition investigating reports of deadly Mosul airstrike
- The U.S.-led coalition fighting ISIS is investigating reports of an airstrike in a western neighbourhood in the Iraqi city of Mosul that allegedly left more than 100 civilians dead last week, according to a statement given to The Associated Press on Friday.
- CBC IN LONDON The officer and the MP: both tried to save lives, only one succeeded
- Keith Palmer and Tobias Ellwood, both fathers and at one time soldiers, are both being praised for their heroism in Wednesday's attack in London.
- The politics of Pluto: 10 years later, the bitter debate rages on
- More than 10 years after Pluto was demoted from planet to dwarf planet, the debate continues, with leading scientists on both sides becoming more vociferous and maybe a little testy.