Turkish minorities tread carefully in opening doors to multi-culturalism
People in Instanbul enjoy the newly-revived Baklahorani Carnival. What was once a pagan Christian rite, has morphed into one of the few celebrations of Turkey's multi-cultural past and present. Dominant Turkish nationalism has made its organizers tread with caution. (Photo/Meghan MacIver)
Dancing to the tune of reconciliation
But now it seems, times are changing, ever so slightly.
Canadian journalist Meghan MacIver has found some Greeks and Turks dancing to the same tune at an unusual, and very historic party in Istanbul.
Categories: Asia, Europe, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN LONDON After a nightmare attack, the resilience of Londoners resurfaces video
- Just as surely as a lone attacker would eventually evade London’s security services and 24-hour surveillance, London was bound to recover quickly when it did happen. Once the initial horror was over, the resilience that comes with living for years with a severe threat of attack resurfaced.
- British police say attacker inspired by terrorism; 7 arrested in raids video
- British police say they believe the attacker who killed five people including a police officer outside Parliament acted alone and was "inspired by international terrorism."
- Analysis Ivanka Trump's White House role: Ethics concerns collide with hope for a 'moderating' voice
- Ivanka Trump will soon have access to state secrets, her own office in the West Wing and nobody official to answer to regarding her ethics. If she can be a "moderating" influence, though, some appear willing to give her a pass.
- Photos 'They destroyed us': Mosul residents on life under ISIS occupation
- CBC News recently spent a week in the Iraqi city of Mosul, speaking to residents about what it was like living under the world's most feared terrorist group.
- Looking back on Chuck Barris's career: 'He turned the cameras back on real people'
- Chuck Barris's trio of hit game shows — The Dating Game, The Newlywed Game and The Gong Show — have had a lasting legacy, paving the way for countless dating shows and reality competitions.