Help for kids of India sex workers
Kalaivani was forced into sex work after her husband died and she had a family to support. Now she counsels women in Chennai's sex trade, and is proud that her two children have become educated professionals. (Photo: Priya Sankaran)
(There are no photos of the children or their teacher, to protect them all)
Baby was a sex worker for years. She describes all of the bribes they have to pay each night they work.(Photo: Priya Sankaran)
Categories: Asia, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- updated Commuter trains collide in Connecticut
- Two commuter trains serving New York City collided in Connecticut during Friday's evening rush hour, sending 60 people to the hospital, including five with critical injuries, Gov. Dannel Malloy said.
- Bombs in Iraq targeting Sunnis kill at least 76
- Bombs have struck Sunni areas in Baghdad and surrounding areas, killing at least 76 people in the deadliest day in Iraq in more than eight months, officials said, as a spike in violence has raised fears the country could be on the path to a new round of sectarian bloodshed.
- Rescuers dig to free 23 trapped Indonesian miners
- Rescuers were digging for a fourth day Friday trying to reach 23 workers trapped in a caved-in tunnel at a giant U.S.-owned gold and copper mine in Indonesia.
- Ohio man to appeal conviction in 'dying blinks' case
- The man convicted in a murder trial that hinged on a paralyzed victim blinking his eyes to identify his shooter plans to appeal, a defence attorney said after the verdict.
- Uzbek national pleads not guilty to U.S. terrorism charges
- A Uzbekistan national pleaded not guilty and said little during his first court appearance on Friday, on U.S. charges that he gave support, cash and other resources to help a recognized militant group.