Saving Face: Pakistan deals with acid attacks on women
Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy is co-director and co-producer of Saving Face - winnner of the Academy award for best short documentary. Photo/Asad Faruqi - HBO
In the Oscar-winning documentary Saving Face, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy shows women grotesquely disfigured by the acid used by their husbands and suitors to attack them.
But the film is about victory, not only loss.
Acid attacks, which are not unique to Pakistan, are put on trial.
And, unlikely heroes emerge to help mend the dignity and the smiles of the victims.
Sharmeen is a dual citizen of Canada and Pakistan.
She joined us from Los Angeles shortly before winning her Academy Award.
Saving face will be aired on HBO on March 8th.
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- As fighting intensifies in Aleppo, UN mulls Canadian resolution to end conflict
- The United Nations General Assembly began talks on Friday on a Canadian-drafted resolution that would demand an end to fighting in Syria.
- China hopes Trump call with Taiwan leader won't damage ties
- China's foreign minister said Saturday he hopes Beijing's relations with the U.S. would not be "interfered with or damaged" after president-elect Donald Trump broke with decades-long diplomatic tradition and spoke directly with Taiwan's leader.
- Analysis Cuba's dictator was Colombia's peacemaker: How Fidel Castro helped end conflict with FARC video
- In the same week that Fidel Castro's ashes made their final journey across Cuba, Colombia's congress approved a peace deal with FARC rebels — a goal the dictator had encouraged for 20 years.
- Accused killer allegedly told detective he shot teen for 'hassling' him
- A black West Virginia teenager had a BB gun in his waistband but nothing in his hands when he was fatally shot by a white man, a police detective has testified.
- 21 Chinese miners die after 4 days trapped
- China's state-run Xinhua News Agency says 21 miners who were trapped for four days after an explosion have been confirmed dead. One is missing.