Hainan Island, China...surfer girl catches waves here
Darci Liu, China's Surfer Girl, on Hainan Island (photo/Danielle Nerman)
Dispatches is always banging on about the changes emerging from the superheated economy of China. But sometimes even we're surprised at the form it takes.
Surfing for example. Who knew?
It isn't exactly "everybody's learning how." But there's at least one standout on the breakers.
Canadian journalist Danielle Nerman tracks down China's Surfer Girl
Categories: Asia, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Brexit vote a sign U.K. 'longing for a time and place that never was' video
- The Leave campaign deliberately stirred up anti-immigration anxieties to win the Brexit vote, researchers say. That could spell trouble for other countries considering parting ways with the postwar order in Europe.
- West Virginia flooding death toll rises to 26
- At least 26 people in West Virginia have died in some of the worst flooding to hit the state, and hundreds more have been rescued from swamped homes.
- 67 Russians apply for exemptions to ban from Rio Olympics
- The Russian sports minister says "up to 67 athletes" have applied to track and field's world governing body to be exempted from the ban on the Russian team at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
- Day 6 What the Stonewall Inn means to the LGBT civil rights movement
- On Friday, U.S. President Barack Obama designated the Stonewall Inn in New York City as America's first national monument to the LGBT civil rights movement. In this Day 6 documentary, three members of the LGBT community reflect on the 1969 Stonewall uprisings, and how they're remembered today.
- CBC IN BRUSSELS Leave victory should send chill down EU's collective spine
- You could almost feel the hulking edifices that house the European Union’s main institutions in Brussels shrinking in on themselves as the news arrived with a grey dawn that one of their own, even if only reluctantly so, would be leaving after all — divorce papers to be delivered soon.