Hainan Island, China...surfer girl catches waves here
Darci Liu, China's Surfer Girl, on Hainan Island (photo/Danielle Nerman)
Dispatches is always banging on about the changes emerging from the superheated economy of China. But sometimes even we're surprised at the form it takes.
Surfing for example. Who knew?
It isn't exactly "everybody's learning how." But there's at least one standout on the breakers.
Canadian journalist Danielle Nerman tracks down China's Surfer Girl
Categories: Asia, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Venezuela spiralling into chaos amid looting, militarized police
- After the deadliest day in weeks of anti-government protest and looting, tensions remain high in Venezuela as state police departments are put under National Guard control.
- France heads to the polls after unpredictable presidential campaign
- France goes to the polls on Sunday for the first round of a bitterly fought presidential election, crucial to the future of Europe and a closely-watched test of voters' anger with the political establishment.
- Global March for Science raises concern over Trump policies
- Scientists and their supporters marched in hundreds of cities around the world Saturday, including over a dozen in Canada, protesting against proposed U.S. government funding cuts to scientific research and public rejection of established science such as climate change.
- 'We don't blame you': Wisconsin farmers on Trump's blast at Canada's dairy industry
- In the wake of U.S. President Donald Trump's comments about Wisconsin dairy farmers being treated unfairly by Canada, people in the dairy industry say the problem is more about overproduction of milk in the state.
- Analysis Angry and tired French voters flirt with outsiders for top job: Nahlah Ayed
- Many French voters are fed up with their political system and eager for change ahead of the first round of the presidential election on Sunday. But that change could have a major impact well beyond the country's borders.