Hainan Island, China...surfer girl catches waves here
Darci Liu, China's Surfer Girl, on Hainan Island (photo/Danielle Nerman)
Dispatches is always banging on about the changes emerging from the superheated economy of China. But sometimes even we're surprised at the form it takes.
Surfing for example. Who knew?
It isn't exactly "everybody's learning how." But there's at least one standout on the breakers.
Canadian journalist Danielle Nerman tracks down China's Surfer Girl
Categories: Asia, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- ISIS spreading out in Syria, blending in ahead of expected airstrikes
- Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has gone underground in its Syrian stronghold since President Barack Obama authorized U.S. airstrikes on the group in Syria, disappearing from the streets, redeploying weapons and fighters, and cutting down its media exposure.
- Video Scotland referendum: Inside the 'Yes' camp video
- Watch the report from The National as CBC's Nahlah Ayed travels in Scotland to get the pulse of the independence movement just a few days ahead ahead of a historic vote to determine the country's future course.
- Gaza rebuilding agreement brokered by United Nations
- The United Nations has brokered an agreement to enable the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip, giving a lead role to the Palestinian Authority while involving the private sector, the UN's top Mideast envoy said Tuesday.
- California wildfire engulfs homes
- Firefighters mopped up Tuesday around the smouldering remains of 100 structures, most of them homes, after a wind-driven wildfire raced through a hillside northern California neighbourhood.
- New Benghazi hearings, now overshadowed by ISIS, get underway on Capitol Hill
- The House Select Committee on Benghazi gets its public debut Wednesday, two years after militants in the eastern Libyan city killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans, and four months after Republicans launched their special investigation.