Hainan Island, China...surfer girl catches waves here
Darci Liu, China's Surfer Girl, on Hainan Island (photo/Danielle Nerman)
Dispatches is always banging on about the changes emerging from the superheated economy of China. But sometimes even we're surprised at the form it takes.
Surfing for example. Who knew?
It isn't exactly "everybody's learning how." But there's at least one standout on the breakers.
Canadian journalist Danielle Nerman tracks down China's Surfer Girl
Categories: Asia, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Syria’s civil war spawns deadly barrel bombs, other DIY weapons
- Crude barrel bombs killed scores of people in the Syrian city of Aleppo earlier this week, a string of devastating attacks that show the Syrian military is using increasingly deadly homemade weapons in the civil war, experts say.
- Updated UN helicopter attacked in South Sudan video
- Gunfire hit three U.S. military aircraft trying to evacuate American citizens in a remote region of South Sudan that on Saturday became a battle ground between the country's military and renegade troops, officials said.
- Chinese billionaire feared dead after helicopter crash in France
- A Chinese hotel magnate and a French wine entrepreneur were feared dead with two others on Saturday after their helicopter crashed hours after they had agreed the sale of a luxury Bordeaux chateau, police said.
- Lockerbie bombing memorials held in U.S., Scotland, London video audio
- Bagpipes played and wreaths were laid in Scotland's town of Lockerbie Saturday, as the families of those who died in the deadly airliner bombing over the town 25 years ago gathered to remember the victims.
- Mohammed Morsi, Egypt's ousted president, referred to 3rd trial
- Egyptian prosecutors on Saturday referred ousted President Mohammed Morsi to a third trial, on charges of organizing prison breaks during the 2011 uprising, spreading chaos in the country and abducting policemen in collaboration with foreign militants.