Hainan Island, China...surfer girl catches waves here
Darci Liu, China's Surfer Girl, on Hainan Island (photo/Danielle Nerman)
Dispatches is always banging on about the changes emerging from the superheated economy of China. But sometimes even we're surprised at the form it takes.
Surfing for example. Who knew?
It isn't exactly "everybody's learning how." But there's at least one standout on the breakers.
Canadian journalist Danielle Nerman tracks down China's Surfer Girl
Categories: Asia, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Earthquake brings down buildings in central Italy, at least 11 killed
- A strong earthquake struck central Italy early Wednesday, collapsing homes on top of residents as they slept. At least 11 people were reported dead in two hard-hit towns where rescue crews raced to dig out survivors from the rubble.
- New Turkish tanks enter Syria in cross-border operation to free ISIS-held town
- Turkey's military launched an operation before dawn Wednesday to clear a Syrian border town from ISIS militants, and a private Turkish TV station reported that a small number of Turkish special forces had crossed into Syria as part of the operation.
- North Korea launches ballistic test missile from submarine
- North Korea fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile off its east coast, South Korea's military said on Wednesday, the latest in a string of missile launches by the isolated country in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions.
- U.S. 'heartbroken' at flood deaths in Louisiana, Obama says in Baton Rouge
- U.S. President Barack Obama says the nation is "heartbroken" by the loss of life during recent flooding in Louisiana.
- Turkish border town evacuated after hit by ISIS mortar from Syria: local media
- A Turkish news agency says authorities are asking residents to evacuate the Turkish border town of Karkamis after a mortar round fired from Syria hit the grounds of its municipality building.