Kabul... Ormiston on Afghanistanization
Next week, after ten years of preparation, Afghanistan assumes responsibility for securing several parts of the country now patrolled by NATO.
Longer term, the date Afghans really focus on is 2014 -- when most NATO forces begin to withdraw completely, and Afghanistan has to police itself.
Meantime the spring fighting season's about to rear up. The violence is expected to be worse than last year, according to the general in charge of American and NATO forces.
The CBC's newest foreign correspondent is Susan Ormiston, newsgathering now in Kabul.
Categories: Asia, News Promo, Promo Box
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN CALAIS France starts to evict people from Calais 'jungle' refugee camp video
- French authorities begin dismantling the refugee camp outside of Calais that's sometimes known as "the jungle." But the future is unclear for the estimated 9,000 people living there.
- Trump Hotels to use Scion brand for new hotels, not Trump
- The Trump name is likely to be everywhere for the next 14 days, with one notable exception: it won't be associated with any new hotels owned by the Republican presidential candidate's eponymous company.
- Iraq government investigating airstrike on mosque that left 13 dead
- Iraqi forces shelled Islamic State positions outside Mosul on Monday as fighting to retake the extremist-held city entered its second week. A rights group, meanwhile, urged a probe into a suspected airstrike last week that mistakenly hit a mosque, killing over a dozen civilians.
- Plane on French anti-smuggling mission crashes in Malta, 5 killed video
- A small aircraft conducting a surveillance mission over the Mediterranean for France's defence ministry crashed on take-off in Malta on Monday, killing all five people on board.
- Tom Hayden, Chicago 8 anti-war activist and later a politician, dead at 76
- Tom Hayden, the famed 1960s anti-war activist who moved beyond his notoriety as a Chicago 8 defendant to become a California legislator, author and lecturer, has died. He was 76.