Asia: February 2011 Archives
Wednesday February 23, 2011
A gold merchant at a guerilla mining camp weighs his payment. Photo/ © Narayan Mahon/Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting
Heroin's terrible handmaiden. An old drug hits the streets of South Africa bearing a deadly new additive.
It's Whack-a-Mole in the jungles of French Guiana as police crash illegal toxic gold mines and miners fix them up again.
Rushing to the maternity ward in a handcart: We revisit the issue of maternal health care in the developing world.
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Past Episodes
Wednesday February 16, 2011
February 17 & 20: from Lampedusa, Italy - Kingi, Democratic Republic of Congo - Uganda - Iran via Washington - Urumqi, China
They chased their president into exile, but thousands of Tunisians are fleeing their "revolution" seeking refuge on the tiny Italian island of Lampedusa. Photo/Reuters
The aftershocks of Tunisia's uprising. Why the revolution is driving some people out of the country.
In Uganda, the opposition fears the country's strongman will steal this week's election.
Iran is erupting, but it's all just good sketch material for a couple of expat comics living in Washington.
We're in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where former rebels are getting away with murder.
And, the sound of Uyghur music. A minority in China listens to its past, for clues to its future.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- Tue., 26 – July 28 & 31: from Kwa Dabekaa, South Africa - Vancouver - Haiti - Zimbabwe - Kolkata, India - New York
- Thu., 21 – July 21 & 24: from Yunnan province, China - Haiti - South Africa - Uljanovsk, Russia - Palermo, Italy
- Thu., 7 – July 7 & 10: from Cape Town, South Africa - Kabul, Afghanistan - Democratic Republic of Congo - Mogadishu, Somalia - Germany
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Wed., 23 – March 24 - 27, 2011 from: Noda and Sendai, Japan - Chernobyl - Tunis - Benghazi, Libya - Berlin
- Tue., 22 – Noda, Japan...pictures, pieces of lives
- Thu., 17 – Beijing...ice swimming and loving it
- Thu., 17 – Kabul... Ormiston on Afghanistanization
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Thu., 10 – China rolls back reforms
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Thu., 25 – November 25 & 28: from Afghanistan - Bosnia - Ghana - Zimbabwe - Seoul, South Korea - Manila, the Philippines
- Thu., 18 – November 18 & 21: from Kampala, Uganda - the Thai-Burmese border - Hilversum, Netherlands - Beirut, Lebanon - Dakar, Senegal - Chennai, India - Nanoori, Ghana
- Thu., 4 – November 4 & 7, 2010: from Berlin - Zambia - Mae Sot, Thailand - Hainan province, China - Guca, Serbia
- October 2010
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Special Report Ebola virus in Liberia creates body recovery dangers
- The wail of an ambulance doesn't always mean help is on the way in Liberia's capital. Instead, it often signals the arrival of a "dead body management team" tasked with safely collecting and disposing of the corpses of people who died in confirmed or suspected cases of Ebola.
- New Malcolm Young of AC/DC suffering from dementia, band confirms
- AC/DC rhythm guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is suffering from dementia, the band has confirmed in reports.
- Updated Mount Ontake volcano: Death toll climbs to 48
- A dozen more bodies were found Wednesday near the ash-covered summit of a Japanese volcano, raising the death toll to 48, as searches resumed amid concern of toxic gasses and another eruption.
- White House intruder case another Secret Service lapse video
- The director of the U.S. Secret Service faced an onslaught of questions from U.S. legislators on Tuesday who demanded to know why a man was able to jump the White House fence on Sept.19 and get inside the building. It's the latest in a string of embarassing security lapses and incidents of misconduct.
- Hong Kong leader ignores protesters in speech to mark Chinese holiday video
- Hong Kong's embattled leader attended a flag-raising Wednesday to mark China's National Day after refusing to meet with protesters who threatened to expand pro-democracy demonstrations unless he resigns and the Chinese leadership agrees to broader electoral reforms.