Asia: September 2009 Archives
Thursday September 24, 2009
The new prisoners of piracy. Monsoon season provides safe haven for crews of the small boats that sail the Indian Ocean.
We'll hear some answers from the Canadian in charge of the count in Afghanistan's tainted election.
Then, Pulitzer prize winner Tracy Kidder tells a story of triumph over memory of the massacres in Burundi.
The Ramadan Blogs; two American-raised Muslims get their eyes opened when they venture into a different New York mosque, every day for a month.
And from a high plateau in Mali, a trio of Canadians brings healing hands to people who've never seen medical care.
Listen to Part One
Listen to Part Two
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday September 17, 2009
In Kabul, people are jumpy and guns are getting pricey. What does the Afghan street know that we don't?
China's economic safari in Africa. The author of a new book documents Beijing's colossal ambitions on the continent.
Meanwhile Ottawa's decision to give less aid to Africa could cost Canada a seat on the UN Security Council.
From Borneo, the "wild dreams" of the Kelabit people, struggling to survive like the rainforest.
And from the Can't-Win-for-Losing Department: musicians in Lebanon win acclaim for singing in Arabic. Then lose it. For singing in Arabic.
Listen to Part One
Listen to Part Two
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
- June 2012
- Wed., 20 – June 21 & 24: the last Dispatches
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- Tue., 26 – July 28 & 31: from Kwa Dabekaa, South Africa - Vancouver - Haiti - Zimbabwe - Kolkata, India - New York
- Thu., 21 – July 21 & 24: from Yunnan province, China - Haiti - South Africa - Uljanovsk, Russia - Palermo, Italy
- Thu., 7 – July 7 & 10: from Cape Town, South Africa - Kabul, Afghanistan - Democratic Republic of Congo - Mogadishu, Somalia - Germany
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Wed., 23 – March 24 - 27, 2011 from: Noda and Sendai, Japan - Chernobyl - Tunis - Benghazi, Libya - Berlin
- Tue., 22 – Noda, Japan...pictures, pieces of lives
- Thu., 17 – Beijing...ice swimming and loving it
- Thu., 17 – Kabul... Ormiston on Afghanistanization
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Thu., 10 – China rolls back reforms
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Thu., 25 – November 25 & 28: from Afghanistan - Bosnia - Ghana - Zimbabwe - Seoul, South Korea - Manila, the Philippines
- Thu., 18 – November 18 & 21: from Kampala, Uganda - the Thai-Burmese border - Hilversum, Netherlands - Beirut, Lebanon - Dakar, Senegal - Chennai, India - Nanoori, Ghana
- Thu., 4 – November 4 & 7, 2010: from Berlin - Zambia - Mae Sot, Thailand - Hainan province, China - Guca, Serbia
- October 2010
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Crash cause coverup likely impossible video
- Concerns have been raised over whether pro-Russian separatists may have tampered with or hauled away debris from the Malaysia airline crash site. But some experts say there should still be enough evidence scattered about to get answers about the crash.
- Updated Gaza conflict: Israeli military confirms soldier missing video
- Israel pounded targets across the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, dashing hopes of a pause in the fighting, as the military said one of its soldiers was missing, presumed dead, following clashes with Hamas militants.
- Updated Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Train carrying victims arrives in Kharkiv video
- A train carrying the remains of victims of a Malaysian plane downed over rebel-held territory in eastern Ukraine arrived in the government-held city of Kharkiv, a Reuters witness said.
- Analysis Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: The Kremlin PR strategy video
- After the crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, CBC News asks three Russia experts about how the Kremlin might find a measure of support from people in the West.
- South Korea ferry disaster: Fugitive billionaire ferry owner found dead
- South Korean police said on Tuesday that a body found last month in the south of the country was that of a fugitive businessman who headed the family that owned the operator of a ferry that capsized in April, killing more than 300 people.