Asia: September 2009 Archives
Thursday September 24, 2009
The new prisoners of piracy. Monsoon season provides safe haven for crews of the small boats that sail the Indian Ocean.
We'll hear some answers from the Canadian in charge of the count in Afghanistan's tainted election.
Then, Pulitzer prize winner Tracy Kidder tells a story of triumph over memory of the massacres in Burundi.
The Ramadan Blogs; two American-raised Muslims get their eyes opened when they venture into a different New York mosque, every day for a month.
And from a high plateau in Mali, a trio of Canadians brings healing hands to people who've never seen medical care.
Listen to Part One
Listen to Part Two
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday September 17, 2009
In Kabul, people are jumpy and guns are getting pricey. What does the Afghan street know that we don't?
China's economic safari in Africa. The author of a new book documents Beijing's colossal ambitions on the continent.
Meanwhile Ottawa's decision to give less aid to Africa could cost Canada a seat on the UN Security Council.
From Borneo, the "wild dreams" of the Kelabit people, struggling to survive like the rainforest.
And from the Can't-Win-for-Losing Department: musicians in Lebanon win acclaim for singing in Arabic. Then lose it. For singing in Arabic.
Listen to Part One
Listen to Part Two
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
- June 2012
- Wed., 20 – June 21 & 24: the last Dispatches
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- Tue., 26 – July 28 & 31: from Kwa Dabekaa, South Africa - Vancouver - Haiti - Zimbabwe - Kolkata, India - New York
- Thu., 21 – July 21 & 24: from Yunnan province, China - Haiti - South Africa - Uljanovsk, Russia - Palermo, Italy
- Thu., 7 – July 7 & 10: from Cape Town, South Africa - Kabul, Afghanistan - Democratic Republic of Congo - Mogadishu, Somalia - Germany
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Wed., 23 – March 24 - 27, 2011 from: Noda and Sendai, Japan - Chernobyl - Tunis - Benghazi, Libya - Berlin
- Tue., 22 – Noda, Japan...pictures, pieces of lives
- Thu., 17 – Beijing...ice swimming and loving it
- Thu., 17 – Kabul... Ormiston on Afghanistanization
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Thu., 10 – China rolls back reforms
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- Thu., 25 – November 25 & 28: from Afghanistan - Bosnia - Ghana - Zimbabwe - Seoul, South Korea - Manila, the Philippines
- Thu., 18 – November 18 & 21: from Kampala, Uganda - the Thai-Burmese border - Hilversum, Netherlands - Beirut, Lebanon - Dakar, Senegal - Chennai, India - Nanoori, Ghana
- Thu., 4 – November 4 & 7, 2010: from Berlin - Zambia - Mae Sot, Thailand - Hainan province, China - Guca, Serbia
- October 2010
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Video Income tax, ISIS facts and 'stamina': Key Clinton-Trump debate moments video
- Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican nominee Donald Trump engaged in their first one-on-one debate Monday night at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y. Here are some of the key moments from the highly-anticipated showdown.
- CBC IN PARIS 'Back to the street': France's unimagined and unimaginable migrant crisis
- One hundred thousand asylum seekers have made their way to France in 2016, a country now playing catchup with what some say was a foreseeable crisis, Michelle Gagnon writes from Paris.
- Analysis The 'change' candidate can't change his ways in 1st debate video
- Everyone, even Donald Trump, knew Hillary Clinton would try to get under his skin and lure him off message and down the rabbit hole of his vanity, and yet the Republican candidate couldn't resist the bait for the entire duration of Monday's debate.
- Private meeting at UN between Trudeau team and Omani officials led to Hoodfar's release by Iran video
- A quiet meeting just off the main floor of the United Nations General Assembly may have been the turning point in Canada’s attempts to secure the release of Homa Hoodfar from a prison in Iran.
- New WHO calls for safe routes to east for rescue of Aleppo sick and wounded
- The World Health Organization calls for the embattled eastern part of the Syrian city of Aleppo to be evacuated of sick and wounded people through safe corridors.