Americas: April 2012 Archives
Wednesday April 18, 2012
From our correspondents around the world...
Selioua Muhammad, 25, sits inside her rooftop shelter in Sheik Othman, Yemen. Muhammad fled her home in June 2011 and has lived at this school since then. (Photo: Lindsay Mackenzie)
The new entrepreneurial Cuba. Forget what you thought it was. The Fixer's gonna show you what it is.
Then, the school everyone goes to but no one attends. Children of the Bombardment learn hard lessons in Yemen.
Plus, the View from Peru, of an extraordinary Easter re-enactment.
And, in times of war, this much is true. Everybody lies. That said, we consider the source of reporting from Syria.
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)
Read more »
Categories: Americas, Middle East, Past Episodes
Wednesday April 4, 2012
April 5 and April 8, 2012 - from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - Kiev, Ukraine - Prato, Italy - Ganta, Liberia - Tel Aviv, Israel
From our correspondents around the world...
Haiti's President Michel Martelly (c) leaving a news conference in March, held to dispel rumours that he holds dual US-Haitian nationality. (Photo REUTERS/Swoan Parker)
Greeks and Turks make nice. Together! A cautious change in a troubled relationship.
And from the vaults, a story of Italian factories powered by Chinese labour. Business turns a profit, but both cultures take a loss.
Then, something few in Israel want to talk about. How the state uses, and abuses, its Arab informers.
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)Read more »
Categories: Africa, Americas, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
- June 2012
- May 2012
- Wed., 30 – May 31 & June 3: from Kabul, Afghanistan - Lima, Peru - Florence, Italy - Hong Kong - Mumbai, India
- Thu., 10 – May 10 & 13, 2012: from Damascus, Syria - Munich, Germany - Sao Paolo, Brazil - Alabama - Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- Wed., 2 – May 3 & 6, 2012: from China - Toulouse, France - India - Port-au-Prince, Haiti - Amsterdam
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Ugly questions loom after look at U.S. Justice Department's police racism files: Neil Macdonald video
- Anyone tempted to dismiss the angry, in-your-face tactics of the Black Lives Matter movement should spend a little time browsing the special litigation section of the U.S. Department of Justice, Neil MacDonald writes.
- Mudslide kills at least 7 on Colombian highway
- A mudslide killed at least seven people and buried more than 10 others along a mountainous stretch of Colombia's main highway between Bogota and Medellin, authorities said on Wednesday.
- 'Apocalyptic' aftershocks of back-to-back earthquakes level buildings in Italy
- A pair of "apocalyptic" aftershocks shook central Italy on Wednesday, crumbling buildings, knocking out power and sending panicked residents into the rain-drenched streets just two months after a strong earthquake in the region killed nearly 300 people.
- Refugee death toll in Mediterranean Sea this year deadliest ever, says UN video audio
- The United Nations refugee agency said Wednesday that at least 3,800 refugees have died in the Mediterranean Sea so far this year in an attempt to reach Europe, making 2016 the deadliest year on record.
- No 'patient zero' in HIV epidemic, new research finds
- Researchers have analyzed HIV in blood samples from the late 1970s to reconstruct its spread throughout North America in unprecedented detail.