Deadly larceny over land in Haiti
A house in the Artibonite Valley in Haiti, destroyed by those claiming the property as their own. Photo/Connie Watson
This land is my land!
In Haiti, people are killing each other over land.
CBC's Connie Watson returned to Haiti this year and discovered a violent standoff that's stifling recovery. Your land or your life!
It's a murderous row over land title, and disaster victims are prey.
It's a country where few can actually produce a deed to their property, and that's a big incentive for others to try and force them off.
There's hope the earthquake that's left more than a million homeless might prompt a reform of the country's chaotic system of land ownership.
But nothing so far.
Instead, it's anarchy. And sometimes a violent free-for-all, as we heard last June from Connie.
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Dozens injured after car plows into Mardi Gras crowd in New Orleans
- New Orleans police say the number of people injured after a vehicle crashed into a crowd watching the Krewe of Endymion parade in the Mid-City section of New Orleans has increased to 28 and a suspect is in custody.
- Trump plans to skip White House press dinner
- U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that he would not attend the annual White House Correspondents' Association dinner, a high-profile event that draws celebrities, politicians and journalists.
- Malaysia says airport safe, Kim Jong-nam autopsy shows effects of nerve agent video
- Malaysia's health minister says autopsy results suggested a nerve agent caused "very serious paralysis" that killed the exiled half-brother of North Korea's leader.
- Man hits 3 with car, kills 1 in Heidelberg, Germany
- A man apparently drove a car into pedestrians in a central square in the German city of Heidelberg on Saturday, killing one person and injuring two others. He fled and was shot after being tracked down by officers, police said.
- Democrats choose Tom Perez as party chairman video
- U.S. Democrats have a new national party chairman: Tom Perez, labour secretary under former president Barack Obama.