Deadly larceny over land in Haiti
A house in the Artibonite Valley in Haiti, destroyed by those claiming the property as their own. Photo/Connie Watson
This land is my land!
In Haiti, people are killing each other over land.
CBC's Connie Watson returned to Haiti this year and discovered a violent standoff that's stifling recovery. Your land or your life!
It's a murderous row over land title, and disaster victims are prey.
It's a country where few can actually produce a deed to their property, and that's a big incentive for others to try and force them off.
There's hope the earthquake that's left more than a million homeless might prompt a reform of the country's chaotic system of land ownership.
But nothing so far.
Instead, it's anarchy. And sometimes a violent free-for-all, as we heard last June from Connie.
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Close primary race shifts Democratic Party back to liberal roots
- U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders might not ultimately defeat supposed frontrunner Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primaries, but he has forced her and the party to turn back to their progressive roots.
- Analysis In a global economy adrift, leaders don't know where to take us next: Don Pittis
- Why don't all those smart people who understand how the economy works just fix it? Don Pittis says that thought is based on a misunderstanding since there is increasing evidence even those we are counting on to come up with solutions don't know what to do.
- Michael Bloomberg says he's 'looking at all the options' around presidential bid
- Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg says he is considering mounting an independent campaign for president. He told The Financial Times on Monday that he was "looking at all the options" when it comes to a bid.
- Updated U.S., South Korea plan talks on anti-missile system
- The Pentagon has confirmed it will start formal talks with South Korea on deploying an advanced missile defence system to South Korea to counter the growing threat of North Korea's weapons capabilities after its rocket launch on the weekend.
- Cruise ship passengers document mess after hurricane winds and high waves
- The Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas cruise ship hit rough seas Sunday night, leaving passengers to document the hurricane force winds.