Americas: October 2011 Archives
Wednesday October 26, 2011
Sohaila's father married her to a warlord to settle a dispute in an Afghan practice called baad. She escaped, married on her own, but she and her husband were captured and sent to jail. Her father says she has to kill her son to come home. (Photo/Laura Lynch)
Categories: Africa, Americas, Asia, Past Episodes
Wednesday October 19, 2011
October 20, 2011: from - Blue Nile, Sudan - New York State - Democratic Republic of Congo - State College, Pennsylvania - Dublin
From our correspondents around the world...
He may be a wanted man in Congo, but Bosco Ntaganda doesn't bother to hide. Nobody has the will to arrest him. Photo/freeuganda.com
The sweet life of Bosco Ntaganda: wanted for war crimes but swanning through the salons of central Africa.
The fearsome voice of Antonov aircraft. Sudan bombs Blue Nile rebels and our reporter witnesses the "next" civil war, already underway.
From Ireland, a bogman's lament. How cutting peat became a matter of national sovereignty.
And the fracas over fracking. There's enough natural gas under the northern U.S. to supply safe energy for years to come. But how safe is the means of extracting it? It's a political fight now, in upstate New York.Read more »
Categories: Africa, Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Thursday October 6, 2011
From our correspondents around the world...
It's the "real" Hadeel. The Associated Press reporter found a persistant impersonator went online as her and filed false reports of Western attrocities in Libya. Photo/Twitter
The downside of Twitter for a correspondent in the Middle East - impersonators hijack her identity.
On the road with the bomberos of Guatemala, tending to the casualties of a culture in crisis.
The badlands between Pakistan and Afghanistan - why they're plagued by violence and it will likely get worse.
And, we revisit a heartbreaking homecoming in Argentina, as two torture victims reunite in the hopes of convicting their captors.Read more »
Categories: Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- PHOTOS California blaze dubbed Erskine wildfire kills 2, destroys 150 homes
- A massive wildfire burning out of control in the foothills of central California has left at least 150 homes in ruins and damaged another 75, officials said on Saturday, warning that more residents may be forced to flee the advancing flames.
- CBC IN COLOMBIA 'I'm filled with joy': Colombians celebrate as dream of peace comes step closer to reality
- Hundreds of people crowd the steps of Museo de Antioquia, Medellín's largest museum. From a distance, they're loud and holding white flags high in the air. But move closer and you see their pure joy. Drums rage. People embrace. A conga line even starts up. They're convinced Colombia's 52-year war is about to end.
- Hotel attack in Somali capital leaves at least 14 dead
- At least 14 people were killed when gunmen stormed a hotel in Somalia's capital and took an unknown number of hotel guests hostage, police and medical workers said Saturday, before security forces hunted down the attackers and ended an hours-long assault.
- Analysis Brexit vote a sign U.K. 'longing for a time and place that never was' video
- The Leave campaign deliberately stirred up anti-immigration anxieties to win the Brexit vote, researchers say. That could spell trouble for other countries considering parting ways with the postwar order in Europe.
- Photos A stunning Brexit, midnight sun baseball and LeBron James: The week in pictures
- From the British exit referendum to the end of Cleveland's championship drought and the longest day of the year, here's the week in pictures for June 18-24.