Americas: October 2011 Archives
Wednesday October 26, 2011
Sohaila's father married her to a warlord to settle a dispute in an Afghan practice called baad. She escaped, married on her own, but she and her husband were captured and sent to jail. Her father says she has to kill her son to come home. (Photo/Laura Lynch)
Categories: Africa, Americas, Asia, Past Episodes
Wednesday October 19, 2011
October 20, 2011: from - Blue Nile, Sudan - New York State - Democratic Republic of Congo - State College, Pennsylvania - Dublin
From our correspondents around the world...
He may be a wanted man in Congo, but Bosco Ntaganda doesn't bother to hide. Nobody has the will to arrest him. Photo/freeuganda.com
The sweet life of Bosco Ntaganda: wanted for war crimes but swanning through the salons of central Africa.
The fearsome voice of Antonov aircraft. Sudan bombs Blue Nile rebels and our reporter witnesses the "next" civil war, already underway.
From Ireland, a bogman's lament. How cutting peat became a matter of national sovereignty.
And the fracas over fracking. There's enough natural gas under the northern U.S. to supply safe energy for years to come. But how safe is the means of extracting it? It's a political fight now, in upstate New York.Read more »
Categories: Africa, Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Thursday October 6, 2011
From our correspondents around the world...
It's the "real" Hadeel. The Associated Press reporter found a persistant impersonator went online as her and filed false reports of Western attrocities in Libya. Photo/Twitter
The downside of Twitter for a correspondent in the Middle East - impersonators hijack her identity.
On the road with the bomberos of Guatemala, tending to the casualties of a culture in crisis.
The badlands between Pakistan and Afghanistan - why they're plagued by violence and it will likely get worse.
And, we revisit a heartbreaking homecoming in Argentina, as two torture victims reunite in the hopes of convicting their captors.Read more »
Categories: Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Battered eastern Ukraine seems headed into protracted on-and-off war
- Analysts and experts focused on the war in Ukraine believe a number of factors are combining to keep the Ukrainian conflict on the global diplomatic backburner.
- 'This is not a joke:' Confusion, Moonlight and other Oscar highlights video
- There was drama, comedy and even a plot twist on Sunday at the 89th Academy Awards in Los Angeles.
- Philippines condemns 'barbaric' killing of German hostage
- The Philippines condemns the "barbaric beheading" of a German captive by ISIS-linked Abu Sayyaf militants, who posted a video of the killing after a deadline for a $600,000 ransom passed.
- Video Moonlight wins best picture over La La Land in stunning Oscars finish video
- In a surreal moment destined for Oscar history, the best picture winner was mistakenly announced at the Academy Awards, with La La Land seemingly awarded the honour before Moonlight was ultimately confirmed as the real choice.
- North Korea executes officials with anti-aircraft guns, South's spy agency says
- North Korea executes five senior security officials with anti-aircraft guns because they made false reports that "enraged" leader Kim Jong-un, according to South Korea's spy agency.