Americas: August 2011 Archives
Thursday August 18, 2011
American preacher Sam Childers set up an orphanage in Southern Sudan, then went hunting for the most fearsome of rebel leaders. Photo/Lionsgate Productions.
The machine gun preacher of Sudan; why a reformed biker's waging holy war on one of the most feared rebel movements in Africa.
Selling America by the pound. Meet the author who's documented the end of a Detroit auto plant, and its rebirth in Mexico.
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Thursday August 4, 2011
August 4 & 7: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - the United States - Huntsville, Alabama - Ulvohamm, Sweden
A branch of Fonkoze, Hait's largest microcredit bank (photo/Amber Hildebrandt/CBC)
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)Read more »
Categories: Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Monday August 1, 2011
The Jamia Mosque - Las Vegas (Photo/30Mosques.com)
Thirty days. Thirty mosques.
This is Islam's holy month of Ramadan. A year ago, two young American-born Muslims completed an eye-opening road trip, crossing the U.S. in a quest to worship at 30 mosques, in 30 states, in the 30 days of Ramadan.
The previous year, in a kind of rehearsal, they broke their 30 daily fasts at 30 different mosques in New York City. Both times, they reported their progress on Dispatches.
Here's Aman Ali -- with what he learned about Islam in Oklahoma last August.
This week on Dispatches (Aug 4) -- more of the Ramadan adventures of Aman and his travelling companion Bassam Tariq from their 2010 20,000-kilometre Ramadan roadtrip through 30 American states. This year, by the way, they're doing the other 20 states.
Here's a sampling of tales from their 2010 roadtrip, starting with Aman followed by Bassam Tariq
Here's what happened to Aman and Bassam in the Deep South on the highways of Alabama last year.
Their original Dispatches piece from New York (starts at 17:22 of the Sep 24, 2009 program)
You can find more in their online blog, 30mosques.com
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Why the spy trade is such a booming industry: Brian Stewart
- The alleged Russian plot that targeted the U.S. presidential election has raised concerns we’re headed for Cold War levels of spying, but there’s actually plenty of evidence the world soared past that point years ago.
- Analysis Trump takes charge: How NAFTA renegotiations might unfold video
- The soundbite from Donald Trump's presidential inauguration speech could strike fear into a free trader's heart: "We will follow two simple rules: Buy American and Hire American." Following through on his rhetoric will be anything but simple.
- Syria government, rebel groups meet in Kazakhstan for ceasefire talks
- Syria talks brokered by Russia, Turkey and Iran and aimed at bolstering a shaky ceasefire in place since last month opened on Monday in Kazakhstan, marking the first face-to-face meeting between the Damascus government representatives and rebel factions trying to overthrow it.
- Opinion Let us hope for a Donald Trump disaster
- If Trump’s success transfers from politics to governing, his dark and guttural ways will become entrenched and ubiquitous.
- Australian charged with 5 counts of murder after pedestrians run over
- A man who authorities say drove into a crowd of pedestrians, killing five and injuring more than 20 in the centre of Melbourne, has been charged with five counts of murder, Australian police said on Monday.