Americas: August 2011 Archives
Thursday August 18, 2011
American preacher Sam Childers set up an orphanage in Southern Sudan, then went hunting for the most fearsome of rebel leaders. Photo/Lionsgate Productions.
The machine gun preacher of Sudan; why a reformed biker's waging holy war on one of the most feared rebel movements in Africa.
Selling America by the pound. Meet the author who's documented the end of a Detroit auto plant, and its rebirth in Mexico.
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Thursday August 4, 2011
August 4 & 7: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - the United States - Huntsville, Alabama - Ulvohamm, Sweden
A branch of Fonkoze, Hait's largest microcredit bank (photo/Amber Hildebrandt/CBC)
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)Read more »
Categories: Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Monday August 1, 2011
The Jamia Mosque - Las Vegas (Photo/30Mosques.com)
Thirty days. Thirty mosques.
This is Islam's holy month of Ramadan. A year ago, two young American-born Muslims completed an eye-opening road trip, crossing the U.S. in a quest to worship at 30 mosques, in 30 states, in the 30 days of Ramadan.
The previous year, in a kind of rehearsal, they broke their 30 daily fasts at 30 different mosques in New York City. Both times, they reported their progress on Dispatches.
Here's Aman Ali -- with what he learned about Islam in Oklahoma last August.
This week on Dispatches (Aug 4) -- more of the Ramadan adventures of Aman and his travelling companion Bassam Tariq from their 2010 20,000-kilometre Ramadan roadtrip through 30 American states. This year, by the way, they're doing the other 20 states.
Here's a sampling of tales from their 2010 roadtrip, starting with Aman followed by Bassam Tariq
Here's what happened to Aman and Bassam in the Deep South on the highways of Alabama last year.
Their original Dispatches piece from New York (starts at 17:22 of the Sep 24, 2009 program)
You can find more in their online blog, 30mosques.com
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- updated Hot air balloon crash in Turkey kills 2, injures 23
- A hot air balloon collided with another balloon mid-air during a sightseeing tour of volcanic rock formations in Turkey and crashed to the ground on Monday, killing two Brazilian tourists and injuring 23 other people on board.
- Yahoo buys Tumblr blogging site for $1.1B
- Yahoo is buying online blogging forum Tumblr for $1.1 billion as CEO Marissa Mayer tries to rejuvenate an internet icon that had fallen behind the times.
- South Korea says North Korea fired 6th projectile into waters
- North Korea fired short-range projectiles into its own eastern waters today for a third straight day, Seoul officials said. The North said it was bolstering deterrence against enemy attack.
- updated Iraq wave of attacks kills dozens in Shia, Sunni areas
- A wave of attacks killed at least 79 people in Shia and Sunni areas of Iraq today, officials said, pushing the death toll over the past week to more than 200 and extending one of the most sustained bouts of sectarian violence the country has seen in years.
- Tornadoes tear through 3 states
- Tornadoes touch down in three states in the U.S., killing one person in Oklahoma and injuring at least 21.