Americas: August 2011 Archives
Thursday August 18, 2011
American preacher Sam Childers set up an orphanage in Southern Sudan, then went hunting for the most fearsome of rebel leaders. Photo/Lionsgate Productions.
The machine gun preacher of Sudan; why a reformed biker's waging holy war on one of the most feared rebel movements in Africa.
Selling America by the pound. Meet the author who's documented the end of a Detroit auto plant, and its rebirth in Mexico.
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Thursday August 4, 2011
August 4 & 7: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - the United States - Huntsville, Alabama - Ulvohamm, Sweden
A branch of Fonkoze, Hait's largest microcredit bank (photo/Amber Hildebrandt/CBC)
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)Read more »
Categories: Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Monday August 1, 2011
The Jamia Mosque - Las Vegas (Photo/30Mosques.com)
Thirty days. Thirty mosques.
This is Islam's holy month of Ramadan. A year ago, two young American-born Muslims completed an eye-opening road trip, crossing the U.S. in a quest to worship at 30 mosques, in 30 states, in the 30 days of Ramadan.
The previous year, in a kind of rehearsal, they broke their 30 daily fasts at 30 different mosques in New York City. Both times, they reported their progress on Dispatches.
Here's Aman Ali -- with what he learned about Islam in Oklahoma last August.
This week on Dispatches (Aug 4) -- more of the Ramadan adventures of Aman and his travelling companion Bassam Tariq from their 2010 20,000-kilometre Ramadan roadtrip through 30 American states. This year, by the way, they're doing the other 20 states.
Here's a sampling of tales from their 2010 roadtrip, starting with Aman followed by Bassam Tariq
Here's what happened to Aman and Bassam in the Deep South on the highways of Alabama last year.
Their original Dispatches piece from New York (starts at 17:22 of the Sep 24, 2009 program)
You can find more in their online blog, 30mosques.com
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- CBC IN MANILA 'Democracy as we know it is dead': Filipino journalists fight fake news video
- The bogus stories that pollute the internet in the Philippines are startling in their venom, frequency and sometimes clumsy attempts to look real, writes Adrienne Arsenault.
- Russian navy vessel sinks after collision off Turkey
- A Russian navy ship sinks after colliding with a Togo-flagged vessel off the Turkish coast.
- U.K. anti-terror police detain man with knives near Parliament
- Armed police carrying out a counterterrorism operation Thursday swooped in on a man they said was carrying knives in a bag near Britain's Parliament and arrested him on suspicion of planning an attack.
- Analysis 'America Last': A dangerous reaction to Trump's trade bullying: Don Pittis
- The U.S. president's irrational tirades against Canadian lumber, dairy and energy seem part of a strategy to alienate U.S. trade allies. If so, there are signs it is working.
- Analysis Maria Sharapova: Controversy sells — fairness does not
- As Maria Sharapova returns to tennis after serving a 15-month doping ban for taking meldonium, the world is reminded that all is not fair in sport and sometimes, cheaters will prosper.