Americas: August 2011 Archives
Thursday August 18, 2011
American preacher Sam Childers set up an orphanage in Southern Sudan, then went hunting for the most fearsome of rebel leaders. Photo/Lionsgate Productions.
The machine gun preacher of Sudan; why a reformed biker's waging holy war on one of the most feared rebel movements in Africa.
Selling America by the pound. Meet the author who's documented the end of a Detroit auto plant, and its rebirth in Mexico.
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Thursday August 4, 2011
August 4 & 7: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - the United States - Huntsville, Alabama - Ulvohamm, Sweden
A branch of Fonkoze, Hait's largest microcredit bank (photo/Amber Hildebrandt/CBC)
Download the podcast (right click: save target as)Read more »
Categories: Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
Monday August 1, 2011
The Jamia Mosque - Las Vegas (Photo/30Mosques.com)
Thirty days. Thirty mosques.
This is Islam's holy month of Ramadan. A year ago, two young American-born Muslims completed an eye-opening road trip, crossing the U.S. in a quest to worship at 30 mosques, in 30 states, in the 30 days of Ramadan.
The previous year, in a kind of rehearsal, they broke their 30 daily fasts at 30 different mosques in New York City. Both times, they reported their progress on Dispatches.
Here's Aman Ali -- with what he learned about Islam in Oklahoma last August.
This week on Dispatches (Aug 4) -- more of the Ramadan adventures of Aman and his travelling companion Bassam Tariq from their 2010 20,000-kilometre Ramadan roadtrip through 30 American states. This year, by the way, they're doing the other 20 states.
Here's a sampling of tales from their 2010 roadtrip, starting with Aman followed by Bassam Tariq
Here's what happened to Aman and Bassam in the Deep South on the highways of Alabama last year.
Their original Dispatches piece from New York (starts at 17:22 of the Sep 24, 2009 program)
You can find more in their online blog, 30mosques.com
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis Once young and promising, Italy's Matteo Renzi gets handed his hat
- If there was ever any doubt that Italy's referendum on constitutional reform was anything other than a verdict on Matteo Renzi as prime minister, the nearly 70 per cent voter turnout and resounding defeat of his proposals on Sunday blasted away the last scraps of uncertainty.
- Trump not saying how he'll view Dakota Access pipeline
- Trump spokesman says incoming president supports construction of Dakota Access pipeline, but wouldn't say whether Trump would reverse Army Corps of Engineers decision to deny construction permit.
- CBC IN STANDING ROCK 'I'm here until they're done': Standing Rock protesters savour a victory, but not packing up just yet video
- A decision to deny permission for the contentious Dakota Access Pipeline to be built under a Missouri River reservoir near the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation was cause for celebration, but it seems unlikely protesters will leave the site anytime soon.
- CBC IN FRANCE 'We won't back down': Young right-wing activists agitate across Europe for an idealized past
- Young, right-wing activists are taking to social media and adopting Greenpeace-style shock tactics to agitate across Europe against immigration and Islam, Michelle Gagnon writes from Paris.
- Updated Focus of U.S. election recount shifts to Michigan, Pennsylvania
- U.S. presidential candidate Jill Stein's fight to force ballot recounts in three states focuses Monday on Pennsylvania, where her Green Party is seeking an emergency Federal Court order for a statewide recount, and Michigan, where a federal judge has ordered a hand recount to begin by noon.