War brides return to Britain on QM2
British Consul-General Sir Alan Collins meets with Second World War British war brides and families travelling to the UK aboard Cunard's Queen Mary 2,
65 years after almost 50,000 British war brides came to Canada -- some are going back on a Queen Mary 2 cruise that lands this week.
CBC's David Common saw them off from New York -- and heard their memories of the trip over, on the original Queen Mary.
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis The old hatreds behind the China-Japan provocation war
- China is probably within its rights to declare an air defence zone covering the disputed islands off its coast, Patrick Brown writes. The fact that the move has renewed tensions with its regional rival Japan may be the point.
- Global trade deal reached after 2 decades
- The World Trade Organization has forged a deal that could add $1 trillion to the world economy. It's aimed at cutting red-tape to help poorer countries sell their goods to wealthier nations.
- Nelson Mandela 'a great man,' family says video
- In their first statement since his death, Nelson Mandela's family says they've "lost a great man, a son of the soil."
- Updated Central African Republic violence sees thousands flee
- France and the African Union on Saturday announced plans to deploy several thousand more troops into embattled Central African Republic, as thousands of Christians fearing reprisal attacks sought refuge from the Muslim former rebels who now control the country after days of violence left nearly 400 people dead — and possibly more.
- Biden visits demilitarized zone as North Korea deports U.S. war veteran
- North Korea says it has deported an elderly U.S. tourist and war veteran detained for more than a month for alleged hostile acts against the country.