War brides return to Britain on QM2
British Consul-General Sir Alan Collins meets with Second World War British war brides and families travelling to the UK aboard Cunard's Queen Mary 2,
65 years after almost 50,000 British war brides came to Canada -- some are going back on a Queen Mary 2 cruise that lands this week.
CBC's David Common saw them off from New York -- and heard their memories of the trip over, on the original Queen Mary.
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Refugee crisis: Thousands of people arrive in Austria
- Thousands of exhausted migrants streamed into Austria Saturday morning, bussed to the border by a Hungarian government that gave up trying to stop them as Europe's asylum system buckled under pressure from the sheer numbers reaching its frontiers.
- Canada returns seized Phoenician artifact to Lebanon
- Federal officials have returned a tiny glass image of a man's head, dating from circa 600 BC, to Lebanon almost a decade after it was seized from an antiquities dealer in Montreal. The rare Phoenician object has been in limbo as diplomats, art experts and the courts sorted out its fate.
- Bangkok bombings: Police seek 10th suspect
- Thai police say they're looking for a 10th suspect in last month's bombing of a landmark in central Bangkok that killed 20 people.
- Syrian drowning deaths lead to charges in Turkey for 'conscious negligence'
- A Turkish court placed four Syrians in custody on Friday after a prosecutor charged them in connection with the deaths of at least 12 people whose boat capsized as they tried to reach the Greek island of Kos, according to local police.
- New York jail staff charged with assaulting mentally disabled teen
- A New York City jail captain and a correction officer have been charged with assault and other crimes in the beating of a mentally disabled 18-year-old inmate in a Rikers Island supply closet last year.