Americas: May 2011 Archives
Thursday May 26, 2011
May 26 & 29: from Hainan Island, China - San Diego - Malaysian Borneo - French Mayotte Island - Dublin
The USS Makin Island is the hybrid "Prius" of aircraft carriers. It saved $2-million in fuel on its first mission. Photo/US Navy
The American military goes green, saving gas and soldiers' lives.
Then, the boat people you don't hear about, fleeing by the thousands across the Indian Ocean.
Did an Irishman save the life of young Adolf Hitler? Disturbing new documents have come to light in Dublin.
Skulls on the ceiling and big-screen TV: a tradition in transition in Malaysian Borneo.
And, another cultural change arrives in China. On a surfboard.Download the podcast (right click: save target as) Read more »
Categories: Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe, Past Episodes
Monday May 2, 2011
British Consul-General Sir Alan Collins meets with Second World War British war brides and families travelling to the UK aboard Cunard's Queen Mary 2,
65 years after almost 50,000 British war brides came to Canada -- some are going back on a Queen Mary 2 cruise that lands this week.
CBC's David Common saw them off from New York -- and heard their memories of the trip over, on the original Queen Mary.
Categories: Americas, News Promo, Promo Box, The View from Here
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Suspect in fatal shooting on Las Vegas Strip surrenders after standoff
- The suspect in a fatal shooting on the Las Vegas Strip on Saturday surrendered to police after barricading himself inside a bus.
- U.S. military confirms airstrike on Mosul area 'corresponding' to reports of civilian casualties
- The U.S military confirmed on Saturday that U.S. warplanes had hit an Islamic State-held area of the besieged Iraqi city of Mosul where residents and officials say dozens of civilians have been killed as result of an airstrike.
- Analysis Health-care havoc: Trump's 1st legislative test a 'big loser' that puts his agenda on shaky ground video
- Donald Trump’s first major legislative push to eliminate and replace the current health-care legislation ran off road Friday, striking a blow to his young presidency’s momentum and denting his image as a master negotiator.
- EU nations renew fragile pact amid threats from nationalism, Brexit
- Today 27 nations renewed their pledge to the European Union amid concerns over Brexit, nationalism and the threat of terrorism.
- CBC in Manila Jailed Philippine senator says she 'won't be quiet' about President Duterte
- Jailed Philippine Senator Leila de Lima says she's a political prisoner. President Rodrigo Duterte says she's a drug trafficker. CBC's Adrienne Arsenault travelled to Manila for an exclusive jailhouse interview with de Lima.