Americas: February 2011 Archives
Wednesday February 23, 2011
A gold merchant at a guerilla mining camp weighs his payment. Photo/ © Narayan Mahon/Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting
Heroin's terrible handmaiden. An old drug hits the streets of South Africa bearing a deadly new additive.
It's Whack-a-Mole in the jungles of French Guiana as police crash illegal toxic gold mines and miners fix them up again.
Rushing to the maternity ward in a handcart: We revisit the issue of maternal health care in the developing world.
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Past Episodes
Wednesday February 2, 2011
American preacher Sam Childers set up an orphanage in Southern Sudan, then went hunting for the most fearsome of rebel leaders. Photo/Lionsgate Productions
Egypt's temper. Word from the capital on the cusp of historic change.
Machine Gun Preacher of Sudan; why a reformed biker's waging war on one of Africa's the most feared rebel armies.
Cockeldoodeldoo! The misplaced love of a Mexican for his cockfighting roosters.
Somalia: a free-fire zone where the streetlights don't work; welcome to the world of Mogadishu's Mayor.
The empire steps back; the BBC reduces foreign-language broadcasting to several key countries.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- U.S. election explained: Americans vote for a lot more than just the president on Nov. 8
- The U.S. presidential election on Nov. 8 is already historic for the record number of Americans who have registered to vote: 200 million and counting. But when they show up to the polls, they will be voting for a lot more than who will occupy the White House.
- 'We're here to preserve life': Come aboard a ship that saves asylum seekers in the Mediterranean
- The stories of the asylum seekers who make desperate crossings on the Mediterranean are legion. But what about those who devote their lives to saving them?
- Updated Clinton calls on FBI to release information about new emails video
- Hillary Clinton is asking the FBI to release any information it has about newly discovered emails that it says may be linked to her private server, reviving a hotly contested political issue in the presidential campaign less than two weeks before election day.
- Syrian rebels launch offensive to break siege in Aleppo
- Syrian rebels launched a broad offensive for Aleppo Friday as the Russian, Syrian, and Iranian foreign ministers vowed to intensify their fight against terrorism in the country.
- Hoping for best and preparing for worst: Inside the American Redoubt movement video
- The American Redoubt is both a movement and an unofficial geographic zone that includes several states. It's a place where Americans who are worried about the future and want less government interference in their lives have formed their own community of like-minded individuals.