Falkland Islands...music of the long march
That song: Iain Main of Ottawa has his nomination for a song that he associates with a particular place and event:
Dire Straits Brothers In Arms and the Falklands War.
It was produced by Knopfler during the aftermath of that war. There had been the long trek by the British soldiers to the opposite side of the island in order to surprise the Argentinian troops.
I knew a young soldier who did that long march across the Falklands and when he returned he told me of the "....misty mountains...." they trekked through with hearts in mouths, not knowing what lay in store for them. The eventual contact with the Argentinian troops led to friends of his being killed and badly wounded. Sadly I don't really know why, or about whom, Knopfler wrote that song. But really this tune gives me goose bumps whenever I hear of the death of one more young woman or man in any conflict.
Categories: Americas, The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Boris Nemtsov, Russian opposition leader, shot dead in Moscow video audio
- Boris Nemtsov, a charismatic Russian opposition leader and sharp critic of President Vladimir Putin, was gunned down Saturday near the Kremlin, just a day before a planned protest against the government.
- Analysis Why Barack Obama won't say 'Islamic extremists' video
- In recent weeks, the White House has gone out of its way to avoid using words like "jihadist" or "Islamic extremists" when describing international atrocities. Barack Obama is trying to excise religion from the fight against terror, Neil Macdonald reports, but not everyone is buying into the game plan.
- Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek's Spock, dead at 83 video
- Leonard Nimoy, the actor, author and director best known for his portrayal of the ultra-logical character Spock in the TV series Star Trek, has died at the age of 83.
- Lupita Nyong'o's $150,000 Oscar dress returned by thief
- The $150,000 Oscar gown worn by actress Lupita Nyong'o that was stolen two days ago was returned on Friday by the thief, who tipped off celebrity news site TMZ.com after finding out that the pearls on the dress were fake.
- Rural Missouri murder-suicide leaves 8 dead, police say
- A man who authorities say may have been unhinged by the death of his ailing mother killed seven people and then took his own life in a house-to-house shooting rampage that wiped out a swath of this tiny town in the Missouri Ozarks.