Falkland Islands...music of the long march
That song: Iain Main of Ottawa has his nomination for a song that he associates with a particular place and event:
Dire Straits Brothers In Arms and the Falklands War.
It was produced by Knopfler during the aftermath of that war. There had been the long trek by the British soldiers to the opposite side of the island in order to surprise the Argentinian troops.
I knew a young soldier who did that long march across the Falklands and when he returned he told me of the "....misty mountains...." they trekked through with hearts in mouths, not knowing what lay in store for them. The eventual contact with the Argentinian troops led to friends of his being killed and badly wounded. Sadly I don't really know why, or about whom, Knopfler wrote that song. But really this tune gives me goose bumps whenever I hear of the death of one more young woman or man in any conflict.
Categories: Americas, The View from Here, Your Dispatches
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Day of mourning in Turkey after blasts targeting police kill 38 video
- Turkey declared a national day of mourning Sunday after twin blasts in Istanbul killed 38 people and wounded 155 others near a soccer stadium — the latest large-scale assault to traumatize a nation confronting an array of security threats.
- Bombing at Egypt's main Coptic Christian cathedral kills 25
- A bombing at Egypt's main Coptic Christian cathedral killed 25 people and wounded another 35 on Sunday, in one of the deadliest attacks carried out against the religious minority in recent memory.
- At least 160 killed in Nigeria church collapse
- Metal girders and the roof of a crowded church collapsed onto worshippers in southern Nigeria, killing at least 160 people, a hospital director said Sunday.
- CBC IN HUNGARY A nasty Hungarian national mood rejects immigrants — and journalists
- The mood in Hungary is decidedly nasty these days, and the populist Prime Minister, Viktor Orban, is accused by many of feeding it with his own sharp anti-foreigner rhetoric in the wake of the 2015 refugee crisis.
- 39 dead as truck rams into vehicles on Kenya road
- A runaway truck carrying volatile gas slammed into other vehicles and burst into flames on a major road in Kenya, killing at least 39 people and injuring 10, officials said early Sunday.