Americas: June 2010 Archives
Thursday June 17, 2010
The long, luminous lives of Miss Ware and Miss Williams, who've spent decades teaching kids the way out of poverty.
Most press clubs are more about single malts than multiple dangers. We'll hear why Afghanistan's is so different.
Olympic security; Canada spent millions on the last winter games. We've got insights into what the next winter games could be like, with a war zone on the border.
From the wreckage of Haiti, a correspondent's-eye view from a pocket of undamaged optimism amid the ruins.
And Jews fighting Jews in the streets of Jerusalem.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Americas, Europe, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday June 10, 2010
|Even hot dogs are special in the Latin Quarter. (Photo/Maureen Brosnahan)|
Footy fans descend on South Africa -- as it renames the roads. Maps are out-of-date, and white folks' noses are out-of-joint.
Death by childbirth. Canada's quest to improve maternal health care in a world where pregnant women are rushed to hosital in handcarts.
From New Orleans, battered shrimp and other stories of survival by seafood.
And the U.S. in Afghanistan. Why body counts take a backseat to doing deals with the enemy.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday June 3, 2010
|(Photo/Nathan L. Collett)|
They call themselves the "bestest of the best" and they just got themselves elected in Iceland. Why did a party promoting polar bears get so many votes?
Tribal violence is not entirely over in Kenya, and already they've made a movie about it, featuring the survivors as the actors.
Then, how music is breaching the political divide between the United States and Cuba, and causing a new divide within the Cuban community.
Plus: Nineteen years ago, a secret airlift evacuated Ethiopian Jews to Israel, but there are reasons some still don't feel at home.
And, Mohamed's Ghost. A new book that says Muslims and their mosques are fading from the American landscape.Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Europe, Past Episodes
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- COMING UP LIVE California warehouse fire kills at least 24, search for victims could last days video
- The death toll has risen to 24 in a fire that ripped through a late-night dance party in a converted warehouse in Oakland, Calif., and officials say they expect that number to climb as the search continues.
- CBC IN CUBA 'I never stayed to see if they were dead': Natalia Bolivar, 82, unsentimental about role in Cuban Revolution video
- At 82 and with an upper-class pedigree, Natalia Bolivar doesn't seem like the typical Cuban revolutionary. That is, until she matter-of-factly begins to recount how she stormed a Havana police station wielding a machine gun, smuggled arms to opposition groups and had all her ribs broken during a police interrogation.
- More snow expected in Hawaii as winter hits the Big Island
- More snow is expected to fall on Hawaii mountaintops as a storm warning goes into effect through Monday morning.
- High-stakes referendum: Is Italy next in line for populist shock?
- Italians were voting Sunday in a referendum on constitutional reforms that is being closely watched abroad to see if Italy becomes the next country to reject the political status quo.
- Up to 40 feared dead in California warehouse party fire video
- The city of Oakland, Calif., had been investigating whether people were illegally living in a warehouse that was the site of a deadly fire that broke out during a late-night party on Friday, killing at least nine people and as many as 40, officials said on Saturday.