Americas: September 2009 Archives
Thursday September 17, 2009
In Kabul, people are jumpy and guns are getting pricey. What does the Afghan street know that we don't?
China's economic safari in Africa. The author of a new book documents Beijing's colossal ambitions on the continent.
Meanwhile Ottawa's decision to give less aid to Africa could cost Canada a seat on the UN Security Council.
From Borneo, the "wild dreams" of the Kelabit people, struggling to survive like the rainforest.
And from the Can't-Win-for-Losing Department: musicians in Lebanon win acclaim for singing in Arabic. Then lose it. For singing in Arabic.
Listen to Part One
Listen to Part Two
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday September 10, 2009
September 10 & 13: from San Jose, Costa Rica - Brunei - Sierras de Rocha, Uruguay - New York - Olwein, Iowa - Tegucigalpa, Honduras - New Delhi
The country where every school kid gets a laptop. You knew it would happen someday. You may be surprised as to where.
Up against the coup in Honduras. With the elected president in exile, his supporters battle for human rights.
How India lost a satellite but gained a land claim. On the moon.
Obama's Afghan problem. It looks different from Ground Zero.
Roland Jarvis and human heads in the trees. How methamphetamine got a hold on the American heartland.
And from Brunei, the gummy paste with the yummy taste. If you can get past the look of it. The tree that's making a snack comeback.
Listen to Part One
Listen to Part Two
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Americas, Middle East, Past Episodes
- June 2012
- Wed., 20 – June 21 & 24: the last Dispatches
- May 2012
- Wed., 30 – May 31 & June 3: from Kabul, Afghanistan - Lima, Peru - Florence, Italy - Hong Kong - Mumbai, India
- Thu., 10 – May 10 & 13, 2012: from Damascus, Syria - Munich, Germany - Sao Paolo, Brazil - Alabama - Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- Wed., 2 – May 3 & 6, 2012: from China - Toulouse, France - India - Port-au-Prince, Haiti - Amsterdam
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- Analysis How the West made a hash of the Afghan war
- With Canada (gone), NATO (packing up) and maybe even the U.S. pulling out almost entirely later this year, Afghanistan's future looks pretty bleak. But then so was the last almost 13 years, Brian Stewart writes.
- Live Ukraine crisis: Kerry, Lavrov pessimistic about end to crisis video
- The top diplomats for Russia and the U.S. voiced pessimism Friday about negotiating an immediate end to the crisis in Ukraine or preventing its strategic Crimea region from voting this weekend to break off from the rest of the country.
- Analysis Crimean referendum highlights region's fractured identity
- On Sunday, Crimeans will vote on whether to leave Ukraine and join Russia. Given the majority-Russian population in the region, it's expected Crimea will vote to join Russia, but other groups, such as the Crimean Tatars, are worried about what it will mean for their futures.
- Updated New York City gas explosion: Rescuers search through rubble
- Police say the eighth person to be pulled out of the rubble of two collapsed buildings in New York City in is an adult female.
- Afghanistan pullout: Taliban congratulates fighters on 'defeat' of Canadians
- A round of goodbye messages are following the last Canadian troops out the door in Afghanistan and some of them are rather nasty.