Americas: September 2009 Archives
Thursday September 17, 2009
In Kabul, people are jumpy and guns are getting pricey. What does the Afghan street know that we don't?
China's economic safari in Africa. The author of a new book documents Beijing's colossal ambitions on the continent.
Meanwhile Ottawa's decision to give less aid to Africa could cost Canada a seat on the UN Security Council.
From Borneo, the "wild dreams" of the Kelabit people, struggling to survive like the rainforest.
And from the Can't-Win-for-Losing Department: musicians in Lebanon win acclaim for singing in Arabic. Then lose it. For singing in Arabic.
Listen to Part One
Listen to Part Two
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday September 10, 2009
September 10 & 13: from San Jose, Costa Rica - Brunei - Sierras de Rocha, Uruguay - New York - Olwein, Iowa - Tegucigalpa, Honduras - New Delhi
The country where every school kid gets a laptop. You knew it would happen someday. You may be surprised as to where.
Up against the coup in Honduras. With the elected president in exile, his supporters battle for human rights.
How India lost a satellite but gained a land claim. On the moon.
Obama's Afghan problem. It looks different from Ground Zero.
Roland Jarvis and human heads in the trees. How methamphetamine got a hold on the American heartland.
And from Brunei, the gummy paste with the yummy taste. If you can get past the look of it. The tree that's making a snack comeback.
Listen to Part One
Listen to Part Two
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Americas, Middle East, Past Episodes
- June 2012
- Wed., 20 – June 21 & 24: the last Dispatches
- May 2012
- Wed., 30 – May 31 & June 3: from Kabul, Afghanistan - Lima, Peru - Florence, Italy - Hong Kong - Mumbai, India
- Thu., 10 – May 10 & 13, 2012: from Damascus, Syria - Munich, Germany - Sao Paolo, Brazil - Alabama - Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- Wed., 2 – May 3 & 6, 2012: from China - Toulouse, France - India - Port-au-Prince, Haiti - Amsterdam
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- U.K. files for EU divorce, triggering 2 years to Brexit video
- Britain has formally triggered the process of leaving the European Union, Prime Minister Theresa May says, ending the country's 44-year relationship with the bloc.
- Fear on the farm: In Vermont, migrant dairy workers and their bosses worry about Trump
- Vermont's dairy industry depends on migrant labour to keep the milk flowing. Now, fears of a crackdown by the Trump administration on illegal immigrants has many farm workers living in fear, and farmers are worried they could lose a major part of their workforce.
- Special Report A country without cash: Zimbabwe is so desperate it's selling off its elephants
- After nearly 40 years of Robert Mugabe’s rule, Zimbabwe is broke — so broke that it’s selling its elephants. CBC News explores the dying days of a dictatorship that continues to punish its people.
- NHL shouldn't expect special treatment in Olympic talks, IOC says
- A representative for the International Olympic Committee says the National Hockey League shouldn't expect special treatment in negotiations for its participation in the upcoming Winter Games.
- Analysis From dreaded possibility to looming eventuality — Brexit is here: Nahlah Ayed
- As official notice of Brexit is given, the feared consequences are already being felt: some EU workers affected aren't waiting to find out what happens, and are moving on. Some have stopped coming to Britain. Both trends have started causing problems for employers, Nahlah Ayed reports.