Americas: September 2009 Archives
Thursday September 17, 2009
In Kabul, people are jumpy and guns are getting pricey. What does the Afghan street know that we don't?
China's economic safari in Africa. The author of a new book documents Beijing's colossal ambitions on the continent.
Meanwhile Ottawa's decision to give less aid to Africa could cost Canada a seat on the UN Security Council.
From Borneo, the "wild dreams" of the Kelabit people, struggling to survive like the rainforest.
And from the Can't-Win-for-Losing Department: musicians in Lebanon win acclaim for singing in Arabic. Then lose it. For singing in Arabic.
Listen to Part One
Listen to Part Two
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Africa, Americas, Asia, Middle East, Past Episodes
Thursday September 10, 2009
September 10 & 13: from San Jose, Costa Rica - Brunei - Sierras de Rocha, Uruguay - New York - Olwein, Iowa - Tegucigalpa, Honduras - New Delhi
The country where every school kid gets a laptop. You knew it would happen someday. You may be surprised as to where.
Up against the coup in Honduras. With the elected president in exile, his supporters battle for human rights.
How India lost a satellite but gained a land claim. On the moon.
Obama's Afghan problem. It looks different from Ground Zero.
Roland Jarvis and human heads in the trees. How methamphetamine got a hold on the American heartland.
And from Brunei, the gummy paste with the yummy taste. If you can get past the look of it. The tree that's making a snack comeback.
Listen to Part One
Listen to Part Two
Read more »
Categories: 2010 Season, Americas, Middle East, Past Episodes
- June 2012
- Wed., 20 – June 21 & 24: the last Dispatches
- May 2012
- Wed., 30 – May 31 & June 3: from Kabul, Afghanistan - Lima, Peru - Florence, Italy - Hong Kong - Mumbai, India
- Thu., 10 – May 10 & 13, 2012: from Damascus, Syria - Munich, Germany - Sao Paolo, Brazil - Alabama - Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- Wed., 2 – May 3 & 6, 2012: from China - Toulouse, France - India - Port-au-Prince, Haiti - Amsterdam
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Thu., 30 – June 30 & July 3: from Israel - Colombia - Berlin - Democratic Republic of Congo - Agra, India
- Thu., 23 – June 23 & 26: from Port-au-Prince, Haiti - El Paso, Texas - the Balkans - Dublin, Ireland - Oakland, California
- Thu., 16 – June 16 & 19: from Gudvangen, Norway - India - Dakar, Senegal - the Balkans - Guca, Serbia
- Thu., 2 – June 2 & 5: from Lima, Peru - Den Bosch, The Netherlands - Syria - Rondonia, Brazil - Lombardy, Italy
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Thu., 31 – Grand Forks, ND: misinformation on the menu
- Wed., 30 – March 31 & April 3: from Grand Forks, North Dakota - Ukraine - Amman, Jordan - Bunya, Democratic Republic of Congo - Manila, Philippines
- Thu., 17 – March 17/20, 2011 Dispatches: from Kabul - Riyadh - Beijing - Douglas, South Africa -Cozumel - India via New York
- Fri., 11 – Plaza del Mayo... marching, remembering
- Thu., 10 – March 10/13, 2011 Dispatches: from Beijing - Mendoza, Argentina - Tripoli - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Punta Allen, Mexico
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- Thu., 28 – October 28 & 31, 2010: from Rio de Janeiro - Dublin - Voss, Norway - Huntsville, Alabama - London
- Thu., 21 – Havana...sticking like crazy glue here
- Thu., 21 – October 21 & 24, 2010: from Palermo, Sicily - Los Angeles - New York - Kandahar - Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Wed., 20 – Haiti...Rumours Of Glory here
- Fri., 15 – Falkland Islands...music of the long march
- Fri., 15 – When in Cuba, eat as the Cubans eat
- Thu., 14 – October 14 & 17, 2010: from Miami - Cuba - Arizona - Tripoli, Lebanon - Berlin - La Paz, Bolivia
- September 2010
- Thu., 30 – September 30 & October 3, 2010: from Paris - New York - Afghanistan - Chiapas - Culver City, CA
- Thu., 16 – September 16 & 19 - from Bangkok, Thailand - Las Vegas, Nevada - Kampala, Uganda - Kaunas, Lithuania - Conakry, Guinea - Port au Prince, Haiti
- Thu., 9 – September 9 & 12 - from Gudvangen, Norway - Oakland, CA - Chelsetoon, Afghanistan - Mexico City - Oklahoma
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
|Radio One||Thursday 1 pm, 1:30 pm NT Sunday 7 pm, 8 pm AT and 8:30 pm NT|
|Sirius 137||Friday at Midnight & 9 am, Sunday at 10 pm|
- U.K. government must consult Parliament before triggering Brexit
- Britain's government must get parliamentary approval before starting the process of leaving the European Union, the Supreme Court ruled Tuesday, potentially delaying Prime Minister Theresa May's plans to trigger negotiations by the end of March.
- European Parliament's trade committee endorses Canada's free trade deal
- A planned EU-Canada free trade deal moved closer to reality on Tuesday after a key committee advised the European Parliament to give its backing after months of protests and heated debate.
- Trump reiterates false claims about election fraud at congressional reception video
- Even as U.S. President Donald Trump starts reaching out to lawmakers and business and union leaders to sell his policies, he's still making false claims about election fraud.
- Syria talks lead to shaky truce, but some fighting will continue
- Russia and regional powers Turkey and Iran backed a shaky truce between Syria's warring parties on Tuesday and agreed to monitor its compliance, but on the ground rebels faced continued fighting on two fronts which could undermine the deal.
- Israel approves 2,500 new West Bank settlement homes
- Israel's Defence Ministry announced plans on Tuesday to build 2,500 more settlement homes in the West Bank, the second announcement of new construction in the occupied territory since President Donald Trump took office.